Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

Media buttons are standard in Android as documented here: Responding to media buttons  |  Legacy media APIs  |  Android Developers

The physical “Next” button on my DAP, for example, generates a KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT. I know this because I can see the event generated in button remapping apps and can modify its behavior.

For some reason, both the Roon and ARC apps on my DAP are responding wildly to even short held presses. Other media apps don’t.

So you believe that if you are playing music on your Roon Ready DAP and you press the physical hardware button that the Roon Ready process is responding to it? What if you are actually using the Roon Remote client at that time? Won’t that client app be the thing responding? I have no idea how that works.

I don’t know why you keep sounding so irritated at me - I’m a pretty smart and reasonable guy. If you’re irritated, maybe just don’t respond.

Yes, I registered the FiiO app a few days ago with no issues.

Someone using the M11S with meze Liric?

Im not irritated sorry if it comes across that way. From my experience not all DAPs controls work as standard media controls they certainly don’t on my Hiby that’s for sure as not all apps work well with them including Qobuz.

That said I just tested the Roon remote app on the m11 with its audio output and not the Roon Ready output and all the media controls seem to work fine. Play/pause skip and back. If i hold the back or skip it skips through all tracks really quickly which is odd. They never worked at all on my Hiby so this is a plus to me. I did ask Roon and they confirmed they likely wouldn’t work as they are not standard android media controls on that device anyway. Does your iBasso work the same as my M11 in this regard?

With Roon Ready yes the physical buttons respond to it as they have to, its part of the certification process the device playback controls have to control Roon playback. This is the same for any Roon Ready product. Their are limitations in regards to what they implement as Roon doesn’t have all functions devices might have. In this case holding the skip or back controls just do that when I’m using Roon Ready they don’t skip all tracks continuously like the app does.

If using the Roon remote audio output then the app doesn’t work at that same level as Roon Ready as all devices have different implementations it’s a one fit all approach where Roon Ready is tailored by the vendor for each device.

I wish out of my range unfortunately.

Odd, did it via the forum then logged in.

Thanks for saying that. I must be reading something into it. I’ll stop :slight_smile:

You’re seeing what I’m seeing with respect to the rapid skip. That’s the behavior I was trying to explain above. If you care enough, it’s fixable with 3rd party software that’ll cost you a few bucks.

I don’t know that I fully buy what Roon told you. It’s true that the physical buttons aren’t standard but the software events they generate are. The apps I’ve tested other than Roon seems do the right thing. Seems like a bug in a piece of code common to Roon Remote and ARC, but that’s just a guess.

What you wrote about Roon Ready makes sense. Thanks.

I agree it looks like a bug in the apps at least. As I said though on my R5 they are issues with lots of apps it’s not just Roon. No idea why but some don’t work at all some occasionally work.

1 Like

Anyone else stop the Fiio app auto resuming on startup ? The features turned off but it still does it driving me nuts.

After 4 days solid on this now it’s not dropped a best via Roon Ready, hats off to Fiio here it’s a really stable implementation I have not bothered using any other source this week at all, just keep swapping out the transducers to give each set I own a run through. I am very happy with it overall.

1 Like

Thanks for the continuing updates.

I’m envious of your Roon Readiness and it is fantastic to hear that FiiO nailed it. It’s been a learning experience to understand how Roon Ready shows up on an open Android DAP versus the A&K approach. I hope other OEMs follow suit.

I get this. Despite not having Roon Ready, my setup work reasonably well with both Roon Remote and ARC. It’s not bit perfect by default but I can get it to pin to a resolution which gets it bit perfect for that specific resolution and helps with maintaining connectivity. It’s a poor man’s version of what you’ve got, but it functions and it’s enough to whet my appetite for what’s to come.

I hope FiiO gets enough positive response to their efforts to encourage other OEMs to do the same. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that FiiO devices show up in the Roon store soon and that Roon starts advocating for them. I’m guessing we’ll see something on the blog soon.

A&K is essentially the same approach as some of them are Roon Ready but they never ever whitelisted the Roon app to be installed so you could never use it until they launched Roon Ready . The only difference is they just have an on/off selector in the settings and it keeps that on if its set on, the Fiio you have to turn it on every reboot . With A&K It just their choice of really old wifi chips that holds them back as reliable Roon endpoints as they are unreliable over the network at least on the lower model I tried the Kann Alpha was and I know others have had issues on the more expensive ones to.

I think if users give enough pressure to the DAP people they will add it. They all need to compete in the same space after all.

1 Like

Dismantled all my bedroom headrig as I am happy to replace it with the M11 Plus, the DK1 dock nice addition to charge it whilst I sleep.

Question is do I now replace my other Headrig which is the RME ADI 2 it’s not used nearly enough and is used as a second system with some Q Acoustics powered speakers so likey being wasted. I do like it a lot but the SMSL SU9 could replace it easy enough to drive the speakers as I don’t need it for phones anymore. This would then likey score me more cash 2nd hand sale than the SU9 for my other purchases I have in mind. Decisions decisions.

Been so happy with this update. I really love my my M11 Plus. I never thought I would want a dedicated music player again (since iPod) but I’ve been impressed with all of the M11 Plus features at its price point even though it’s a bit bigger and heavier than other models available. Having Roon Ready on it has made it even better. It’s now my bedroom side table rig. As you said, being able to control it from my iPhone is very convenient. I keep mine in my backpack when commuting because it’s a pretty big device to keep in your pants pocket.

1 Like

I only have one minor niggle and that’s for some reason the Lock Screen widget for now playing doesn’t seem to update per track and the duration stays the sam and it only shows two button until you expand it. So some work required here. Other than that it’s a very solid Roon experience.

Now the Fiio’s are Roon-Ready, I’ve just ordered an M17.

I’m hoping this will replace not only my Chord Poly/Mojo combo that I use indoors, but also my Sony NW-WM1Z DAP that I use outside.

1 Like

I’m also happy with the Fiio as Roon Roon endpoint.
Compared with the SP2000 (had costs 4 times more):

• much faster
  • more stable with Roon (especially using DSD)
  • much better Wifi
  • gapless DLNA client (yes, A&K can’t it!)
  • open and much newer android
  • accu lifetime is much better, while using Roon

A&K is great in using a local files, but not, if you want to network features.
The SP2000 had a better (stronger) headphone amp included, but for me it’s not a real mobile DAP.
While travelling I’ll prefer the small SP25, but as mobile Roon endpoint around my home, I’ll use in the future the Fiio M11 Plus.
By the way: Differences in the SQ (Roon or other player) are not really there. But playing through Roon has a definitely less volume level, than using the Fiio player or UAAP.

2 Likes

Have to say the standby time on the m11 plus is exceptional if you close Roon as it’s a resource hog as we all know. Took it off charge over 12 hours ago it’s moved to 99% that’s pretty good.

1 Like

It’s 10 days now and I am happy as a pig in the proverbial. The M11 Plus continues to please. I really don’t need any other music gear it just does everything I want/need.

3 Likes

I’m just over 24 hours into an M17 but I can already say that this is my experience, too. I’m agonizing over the M17 versus M11 Plus. The M17 is just big and heavy. I don’t love that at all. But the sound quality is amazing. Like jaw dropping. I think I’m going to stick with the M17 but from what I’ve read, I don’t think you’re leaving much on the table with the M11 Plus. These are the devices that I’ve wanted in my home for a very long time.

2 Likes