Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

The M11 ain’t small or light either but it does fit in my jeans pocket.

I can actually fit the M17 in my jeans back pocket, too. I just need to wear a belt to keep them up when I do it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They will be the big old battery I guess and doesn’t house a 6.3mm headphone as well?

Has a 12v in, dual USB-C, coax, volume pot, 6.3mm, 3.5mm, 2.5mm, 4.4mm. No XLR, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No wonder it’s so big.

1 Like

What I am just getting used to is I can wander around. Before alway using fixed endpoints for headphones had to pause and remove gear to get drinks and food. No longer the case I just get up and walk still with music playing. Yes I could use ARC but it’s gimped I like the full Roon app as it’s just easy to use and get what I want.

Completely agree. The 4.4mm balanced output is especially good.

3 Likes

You guys tried the Alll to DSD setting yet? It makes a difference to the sound but not sure I like what it does.

I haven’t. Have played with Lowpass filters a bit, though. No preferences yet, though.

Have any of you tried it in a “main system”? Instead of a streamer and DAC, mainly for your thought on SQ

I’ve got an AK SR25 that was originally bought as a desktop DAC as well as a DAP. But the streaming was never good enough, and UI was crap.

So a made a completely different desktop and headphone system, and used the AK purely as a DAP.

But with ARC and now a Roon Ready DAP, with proper streaming and great connect ability, I’m back in the hunt.

I haven’t. My primary loudspeaker system doesn’t lend itself to that. I think the M17 is a candidate for a combined Streamer/DAC that feeds an amp from one of its LO options.

I was just being nosey about the M17’s potential, and how high up the chain it could be slotted in.

Almost feels a waste to be used as a headphone rig/desktop only😄. But it will be a great DAP too.

Oh I get it. I’ve been putting the M17 up against my Naim Uniti HE and the M1 is holding its own. If I didn’t have this Uniti HE sitting on my work-from-home desk, I think I’d be quite happy with the M17 driving my over ears which are Meze Elites and Focal Clear MGs depending on mood.

3 Likes

Actually want to add that people are playing with powering the M17 with FiiO’s PL50 linear power supply. Maybe worth exploring. PL50-Low Noise Regulated Linear Power Supply

1 Like

Hmm interesting. I haven’t heard the uniti, but know it’s regarded reputation. The M17 is looking as though it’s going to move the goal posts.

My desktop set up has a topping a90 pre-amp running AE 1 active speakers, the M17 could slot in their nicely.

1 Like

Very interesting :slight_smile:

I am not sure what would be the best choice for me. I would only bee using it as a “portable” unit with IEM. It has to be Roon Ready, ARC and without ANY Android limitations.

M17 looks great, but probably a bit “overkill” for my needs.

Have a nice WE
Torben

Hi all, im thinking of getting the m11 plus or m17 now that they are roon ready. Whats holding me back is that i just dont want to use a phone to control it. Would it be possible to run it in roon ready mode and use the roon remote on the dap?
Thanks for your answers.

Yes. You can download Roon from the Google Play store and use Roon on the M17 itself.

I’m not sure about the M11 though. I haven’t used this model.

The M17’s Roon Ready implementation seems so stable, I’ve contemplated using the COAX Digital-Out into my Esoteric K-01X. I just haven’t got around to it yet.