Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

Yes it just works like controlling any other zone. Just disable the apps audio output though as it’s not needed and will confuse things as the dap will have two audio zones.

I don’t use it myself as Roon remote is a battery hog and I want max playing time and I am happy to use my phone as the dap isn’t necessarily in my hand. I think with the m17 you’ll want to use a remote more as it’s a heavy beast.

@CrystalGipsy - If you are away from home on a train with WLAN (just an example) than you need a phone to control the Fiio? If this is the case where are the benefits compared to a dongle DAC and a phone (ARC)?

Sorry - having difficulties to understand the benefits :slight_smile:

Have a nice WE
Torben

Torben you don’t need a phone at all. I choose to use a phone to control it when using it home using its Roon Ready output as it’s my preferred choice I could install the Roon app and use that to control it locally. This won’t work on the go as Roon Ready is local network only. ARC is just the same as on phones except currently it’s not using the inbuilt dacs of daps they are working on that for a future update like they added outboard DAC support. But you would need to use your phone it get data connection to the dap if you want to stream, currently like phones sd card can’t be used for storage.

Main benefit is the music device is separate and in your pocket, no device hanging off your phone and will help your battery last longer and your phones free to do what it does best. And when all else fails you have local storage and other players available.

1 Like

Life without WiFi is where the FiiO’s comes in. You can fill this brick with up to 2TB of music, and enjoy the sublime SQ it provides as you would at home with your favourite headphones. Try doing that with ARC and a phone/dongle!

I won’t be using the SD card much as it takes me out of Roon architecture and I really don’t like other apps to use. UAPP is the best android player but still lacking and Fiios own app is just not very good.

Just waiting for them to get bitperfect and sd storage support and it’s a win.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers folks. Now I need to decide between m11 and m17.

Not heard the M17 but I can highly recommend the M11 Plus sounds fab to me and offers superb value for money. My Hifi hasn’t had a look in since getting it, old DAC and head amp packed away to move on, my ADI 2 hasn’t been touched either.

1 Like

Just remember: the M17 is BIG & HEAVY!

How does the M11 plus handle DSD? Native up to ? Is it possible to send higher DSD with roon?

And is this a new version?

M11 plus 2

The plus seems to be only able to handle DSD 256 and Dop128 and pcm 384

That is a clear benefit :slight_smile:

Same goes for Roon Ready at home :slight_smile:

But what about ARC? How do you use ARC? Or not? Connecting the M11 and the phone with USB-C cable when using ARC?

As a I am not going to use SD card, ARC is very important for me when I am not at home.

THX :slight_smile:

Torben

So, if you want a large library that can be used offline for ARC (meaning you want an SD card but you want it ARC accessible), I recommend waiting a bit longer. That’s what I’m doing. Roon Ready is terrific, but none of these beasts are yet what I’d call ARC-ready. There’s a bit of discussion on it in this thread below. Others can feel free to disagree - I get what a big deal this next step has been and the use case. But if I can’t use my phone as a remote on the go, and/or I can’t store that much of my library, then I’m still not ready to hit the buy button - personally.

1 Like

Yes, Roon Ready would be very nice. But if there is no ARC solution for M11 or M17 than it has no value to me.

Torben

It’s the latest ess one there is no Plus II is just Plus ESS. it’s limited to DSD256 via network only works the higher rates for sdcard same for their app I believe. Don’t give a hoots about DSD don’t own any and won’t don’t see the point myself doesn’t bring anything to me.

There is an arc solution it works as it does on phones soon better as it won’t need an external DAC.

I don’t use ARC with it at moment as I am keeping it home when working, it will be used when I travel properly. No USB I would use Wi-Fi to connect to my phones hotspot and stream that way. I don’t want an external DAC I am fine as it is until they update to support in built DACs and stop resampling. Which as I said is being worked on.

To me it’s replaced all my dedicated headphone stations it sounds as good moves around the house with me and is perfect zone for Roon.

I enjoy DSD upsampling in Roon. So this would be indeed worth considering for me since I have a bunch of native DSD files as well that where not converted from pcm.

:slight_smile: and the plus 2 is only 70-100€ more expensive.

That is a good sales argument :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Torben

There seems to be a"FiiO M11 Plus II" version based on the link above. But if you go the FiiO online shop there is only a “FiiO M11 Plus” version. Strange!

Torben

Probably because they have the Plus 1 on sale in the FiOO shop.?

There isn’t a 1 or 2 it’s just the Plus LTD or Plus. Original used AKM DAC that’s called Plus LTD as they became in short supply due to AKM fire, they changed DAC to ESS it’s just called Plus still although the trend is for retailers to add ESS after it but packaging is just Plus. They have not updated the website to include the Plus they only show the M11S and the now discontinued M11.