Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

It was a short run due to AKM DAC it’s called the LTD and is discontinued, you still may find a retailer with one still mind.

This is exactly what I’m doing with an M17.

I wouldn’t buy an M11 Plus or an M17 with the intent to use it with ARC outside of the house. It’s not there yet. It’s a fine choice for outside the house if you want to load up the SD card and use either FiiO’s app or one of the many 3rd party players. It’s open Android (10) and you can easily install any 3rd party music app like Qobuz, Apple, Tidal and most of those are ahead of ARC with respect to being capable of downloading to the SD card and playing at native frequencies. Obviously you need to tether if you want connectivity.

Inside the house, these are breakthrough devices for non-stationary headphone use. If that’s your primary use case, and it is mine, they’re great.

Don’t ignore this warning from @Martin_Kelly, though.

2 Likes

AT LAST I’ve found the settings in Android so that the M17’s LOCK button locks the buttons and screen, but keeps the volume wheel active.

I can now control Roon from my IPad Pro, lock the M17 but keep the volume control wheel active :smiley:

Oops. Wrong thread!

3 Likes

Double liked in both places.

2 Likes

Here is FiiO M11 Plus II 749,00 €

and here FiiO M11 Plus 669,00

Torben

Both versions, seems to have the same DAC.
I’m letting upscale for my most DACs Roon to DSD512 or DSD256, but then the endpoints are connected with LAN and not Wifi.
DSD64 is working without problems with the M11 Plus using as Roon endpoint and I’ve already not tested higher rates, but my expectations are, that it will become perhaps unstable. DSD128 can be possible, but I would say, that DSD256 can be problematic and so the Plus II will not be in advantage against the current Plus.
Also A&K has limited there Roon endpoints to DSD64 (the SP2000 is otherwise able to handle DSD256) with the argument, that (there) Wifi can’t handle more.

I think that site is possibly confused. The M11 Plus has an ESS version. There was a fire at the AKM factory that made Fiio lose access to the previous chips so the second version of the M11 Plus is officially called M11 Plus ESS. This is that version on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09P885CC9

Here is us on Fiio. Android Smart Lossless Music Player-Feiao official website

They are same daps Torben. There has only been a Plus LTD with AKM DAC and Plus with ESS DAC that it’s they are just calling the ESS one 2 in there advertising on that site but it’s just called Plus there is no 2 version. I have the latest one it’s called Plus.

1 Like

I don’t think, that the french are wrong and that in a few days/weeks the version II will officially with the same higher price.

1 Like

I have tested upscaling to 256 no issues with the M11 Plus.

Sorry to hear that.

Out of curiosity, do you still use it? Couldn’t tell if it’s frustrating and you still use it, or if it’s frustrating and you’ve given it up as a failed purchase?

I can’t find any context for this comment. Since FiiO rolled out Roon Ready for the M11, people here have been reporting very positive experiences. ARC isn’t, as we know, bit perfect but Roon should be working well. If Roon isn’t working for you, people here may be able to help.

1 Like

Likely the original M11 or M11 Pro where RR isn’t available, it’s also on older Android so ARC won’t run on it.

1 Like

Ouch - sorry for the unhelpful response.

Anyone have any experience with the m11 plus ess in the car? Does it work with android auto or car play screen mirroring?

I haven’t played around with any of these settings as a newb. Can you tell me where to access these settings and what I should try?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the documentation on Page 33 of the M11 manual.

1 Like

It has a car mode setting not sure what it does as I don’t have a fancy stereo in my old car to try it out. Was Android Auto a thing on Android 10?

Yes but it’s hard to imagine that a DAP with no built-in connectivity running an OS from 2019 would be a delightful Android Auto device. You managed to say this without saying this :slight_smile:

I can’t find mention of this outside of this thread (and a comment on another forum that I think is also from @Burkhardt_Petermann). If there’s a link, can someone provide it?

I’ve been using an M17 since last week but I think I’m going to call it quits and switch over to an M11. The M17 is fantastic but it’s too big and the battery is draining too fast. I think it’s happiest when it’s moved around infrequently and is left connected to power. I’m not going to spend any energy comparing the sound quality of the M17 to the M11 - any sound quality differences will be overshadowed by my issues with usability.

Next time around, I’ll just by what @CrystalGipsy says to buy :slight_smile:

If there really is a v2 on the way out, though, it would be nice to know for sure.

I doubt they would refresh it again, the Plus is the v2 as the v1 was the Plus LTD which was the AKM version.

What is the battery life? Not sure how the M11 compares but you do get less than the advertised as Roon is just network hungry and does use more resources than Fiios own which they will test battery run against. And its dependent on single ended, the gain and how easy they are to drive, I dont have Planars just simple low impedance dynamics and I dont think they are hard to drive.