Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

Many online dealers use “Plus II” :thinking:

Thanks! None of the US dealers are using that terminology - they all advertise “M11 Plus ESS” with the same specs as the “II” you’re seeing in at least some Europe markets.

Less than 4 hours with only FiiO Roon (no Roon Remote) running. Currently using the 3.5mm output while waiting on a 4.4mm cable that sits better in my ears than the one I’ve got. 12.6ohm IEMs.

I suspect there’s more going on with battery usage than I understand. Battery is dropping quicker than I’d expect when I’m not using it. Some of that is probably me forgetting to force quit the FiiO Roon app. Does that thing just keep running and using measurable battery until you quit it? If so, they need a setting which lets you tell it that you want the app to quit after some period of idle time.

Battery isn’t the primary reason for me to go to the M11, though,. It’s the size and weight. Can’t just easily drop it in a pocket when you want to carry a laptop in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

Really that’s not great given the battery is bigger. I don’t turn off Roon all the time as I forget but yes it does use more than with it not running. This is down to Roons reliance on pinging network more often to say I’m here as an endpoint and I feel Roons code isn’t as efficient as they make out. ii’s not a huge drain like the app can be but not really tested is. If it’s not running, my battery doesn’t drop more than 1% in 8 hours or so, the M11 has good battery management it seems. I’d say I get maybe 8-10 hours but this is an estimate maybe longer or shorter as I dip in and out it’s hard to tell. I’ve never let it run out yet. I have played 10 albums so far on this charge and it’s just under 40% this is balanced to Meze 99 Classics

I think the DACs in the M17 are far hungrier with respect to power. Found a few docs that are interesting.

One of these describes the ES9038PRO consuming 500mW at 192kHz. Another describes the ES9068A at 33mW with no mention of frequency. This is for a single DAC. Obviously these numbers aren’t meaningful without the bigger picture but it’s not unrealistic to expect that the desktop-class ES9038PRO operates at an order of magnitude greater power consumption than the mobile-targeted ES9068A. I’m no EE, though and I’m out of my comfort zone even speculating :slight_smile:

Not sure what’s going on with it when it’s not in use. I’ve seen some funny behaviors where the external volume knob light doesn’t go off even when it’s idle and no apps are running. Makes me wonder if something else is going on. Doesn’t matter, though - I’m not going to spend energy debugging it.

Most of my use will continue to be with my IEMs which are easier to drive than your Classics.

1 Like

Hope you like the M11 and don’t find it too much of a step back.

1 Like

I have been using ARC on my M11 plus in my vehicle, outside of my house, everyday since ARC was launched. As long as you have a stable network connection it flat out works. My M11 plus is connected via digital coaxial to a Helix DSP.3s processor.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of these they can be used in many ways. All you need is headphones or amplification and you can have a great Roon set up anywhere. Just hope they add more functionality to ARC for the library side as it’s lacking currently compared to full Roon app.

I thought ARC is not working om M11 Plus. Did you just install the ARC app on the M11 Plus?

Torben

It does just fine said this already many times in this thread, it’s just not bit perfect yet as it only supports USB external dacs for this currently.

I would probably just carry a Powerbank around if I wanted to use a DAP for a very long time :slight_smile:

Yes. Once I had my network configured to function with ARC, I installed the app on the M11 plus. It work exceptionally well.

I have one to hand all the time, but not needed it yet.

Quick note on battery observations on an M17.

I left the M17 unused for several hours. During that time, FiiO Roon was the only thing running. No music playing. Battery dropped from 54% to 32%. I would say roughly 7% / hour.

I force quit FiiO Roon and left the device overnight. About 9 hours. During that period, the battery dropped from 32% to 29%.

Android Battery usage indicates that FiiO Roon has been “Used for 2 days, 1 hr. 36 min” and has consumed 1% of battery. The only other app listed is Roon which has been used for “Used for 54 minutes” and has also consumed 1%.

Screen is on a 1 minute timeout and was off during all of this.

Mine drops by about that when playing a whole album, daft if it uses the same if not playing. Perhaps the Roon SDK is not be very efficient. I will leave UAPP running and not Roon and see if that has a similar affect.

THX @Jason_Riggs - That is great :slight_smile: Than we just have to hope that bit perfect will be solved.

Torben

@gTunes i just got in from work having left the M11 at home it was taken off charge at 7.30 this morning as it was full it’s dropped 7% in just under 12hrs with Fiio Roon running in bg only. So better than the M17 here.

Interesting. That’s not too bad, I guess. I’m still seeing about 7% / hour usage on the M17 when idle.

There are two power-related settings in Settings > Global > Power-off timers : “Sleep” and “Idle poweroff”. I’m going to play with “Idle poweroff” to see if it’ll power the device down if FiiO Roon is running but no music is playing. If that works, I might just let it power the device down after 10 minutes.

I’ve got the M11 updated and working. I like it. The M11 and M17 are both great. I can hear the difference but it’s marginal with the headphones that I plan to use. Ergonomically, they’re similar other than the massive difference is size and weight. The volume knob on the M17 is nice but enabling it comes at the expense of disabling Roon from volume control. The M17’s additional capabilities (simultaneous USB DAC + charging, dedicated coax, 12v in, 6.3mm, cooling stand) are all not necessary for me. The M17 ends up seeming like a replacement for a desktop setup that you can carry around. The M11 seems like more of a complement to a desktop (or stationary) setup. Considering that the M17 costs almost 3x what the M11 goes for, this makes some sense.

Unless something changes in the next 24 hours, I’m going to pack up the M17. It’s a lovely, lovely unit - just not for my usage.

3 Likes

That doesn’t sound right… :dizzy_face:

My M17 is quite efficient, and I can get a good eight-hours plus listening from a single charge. It also uses very little on standby.

Could it be that you have a defective battery/unit?

Is your 8+ hours of usage with Roon? My unit might be defective. It’s moot now, though.

Enabling “Idle poweroff” did get my M11 to shutdown while on battery with FiiO Roon running (and, of course, no music playing). That’s a decent option to be aware of.

gtunes,
I own an iBasso dx320 and the side skip buttons are overly responsive on my device too, Roon or not, (15+/sec). I simply turned the side buttons off and use the screen to navigate…

Fred.