Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

No as Roon haven’t sorted it out yet, they only fixed this for external usb dacs on phones. It’s on their todo list.

It’s here, Roon Ready mode, balanced out to my HD800Ss, sounding very nice. It is a bit of a brick though isn’t it? :wink:

Edit If I could change something I’d add a hook to the leather case so I could physically tether it to things, like me for example, or my desk. Worried about walking away and dragging it with me…

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, I knew it :slight_smile: Do you have any experience with FiiO Q3 MQA, if it is functional for Roon ARC?

The fix for this is to start with the M17 and use it for a few days before switching to the M11Pro. With the M11, you worry that you’ll drag it with you. With the M17, you worry that if you walk away, it’ll act like an anchor and knock you on your butt.

Coming from the M17, the M11 feels very portable and pocketable. I think that’s why I haven’t been bothered by the size.

The Mojo/Poly case has a d-ring. If that’s what you’re picturing, I bet you could sew one onto the leather case.

2 Likes

That made me laugh. Thanks for the checklist higher up, it made the setup straightforward :slight_smile: I’m not bad with a needle and thread so may have a go at attaching a d-ring as you suggest. Overall am very happy with it so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It works surprisingly well for their first outing into Roon, shows up a few western big companies.

2 Likes

Sounds like a patent for a mag-safe headphone connection right there. Get on it!

3 Likes

:laughing: Yup, the M17 is a brick. But I love it!

2 Likes

It’s amazing. Just be careful. Don’t want to see you get hurt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally the balanced cable I ordered for the IE300 has arrived from AliExpress. Must say it’s very well constructed and these do benefit from being balanced big improvement in performance.

3 Likes

Well, so far I have really enjoyed all of the following Headphones:
Focal Bathys, with and w/o dac mode
Meze 109 Pro
HifiMan Ananda - (Torben, these won’t make your ears sweat, too open for that to happen)
Sennheiser HD 6XX - (Torben - same for these)

and for IEMs:
FiiO FH15
FiiO FH9
Thieaudio Monarch MKII

I turned on the FiiO Roon app, and then on the M11 Plus, going into the Roon Remote app, select the M11 Plus as the Zone, and get bitperfect that way too, and don’t need also have a phone to control, even though my phone is usually within reach.

Also, with ARC bitperfect with a USB DAC, using the MoonAudio MoonRiver 2, or the FiiO KA3 that is another great option too. Looking forward to when the USB DAC isn’t needed for bitperfect internal DAC with ARC.

2 Likes

@gTunes as you also have the Atom HE how does the the M11 Plus stack up to this? I know it’s a bit of an unfair comparison given the price difference and usage scenarios but I am interested to know so the same.

So over 24hrs in @killdozer and @Torben_Rick and @Jazzfan_NJ how you getting on with this little marvel?

I can’t answer this as well as I’d like to, which is probably something of an answer in itself.

The Uniti sits on my desk and I use it exclusively with Meze Elites on the XLR output. That’s the only balanced cable I have for the Elites. I also have a 3.5mm cable. I don’t think it’s fair to the Elites, the Uniti HE, or the M11 to include the Elites on a 3.5mm unbalanced cable in any comparison.

I’ve done a bit of back and forth with the other two headphones I use which are 64 Audio U12t and Focal Clear MG, both with balanced 4.4mm cables.

Both the Uniti HE and the M11 can comfortably drive both of these to uncomfortably high volume levels without issue. We all know that may not be the case with more difficult-to-drive headphones that I don’t have on hand to test with.

With 4.4mm cables on both the Clears and U12ts, I’ve gone back and forth. At times, I’ve felt that the Uniti has an edge on soundstage and range, including base. I wouldn’t put money on this and I wouldn’t put money on my ability to detect the difference between the two in a blind test. I do think I could probably identify, in a blind test, that I was listening to two different sources but I’m not entirely sure of that.

I don’t experience one having better resolution over the other. There might be issues that more sophisticated ears on more sophisticated listeners would detect.

The last song I played with was London Grammar’s “Strong”. After flipping back and forth a few times I stopped because the song is so good and I just wanted to listen to it.

Relative to this community, I fall into the “easy to please” category. I don’t trust myself as a reviewer. So take this for what it is.

I think I’ll add one thing. I’m a hobbyist photographer, too, and have been for many, many years. I bet a bunch of you are, too. In the days before great mobile phone cameras, people used to frequently ask us what the best camera was. We had a stock answer, “The best camera is the one you have with you.” I could, and can, get into the minutiae of sensors, lenses. storage, connectivity, etc. but what’s the point of great equipment if you don’t have it with you? That’s how I feel about the M11 and that describes the role it’s playing for me in my home.

Does that help? I bet it doesn’t. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No thats great feedback.

Since you asked so nicely here are some of my initial observations.

First and by far the most important: This little black box is sure costing me money :rofl: 1tb microSD card and now balanced cables with 4.4mm jacks - one of Sennheiser, one of Dan Clark Audio and one for Focal, which hopefully will also work with HiFiman and Beyerdynamic headphones. I ordered one cable from Amazon and two cables from Fogcity Audio, an excellent Esty shop that I’ve purchased cables from before.

As far as the user interface is concerned I’ve just been treating it like an Android device and that seems to make things easier to understand. I need managed to make one of the wallpapers that @gTunes posted my wallpaper. I’m sure that it’s rather easy to figure out which one :grin:

I successfully updated the firmware and installed Fiio Roon, Roon Remote (with the local zone disabled), Roon ARC, Qobuz, Tidal, Plexamp, Apple Music and SiriusXM. All seem to work as they should. I haven’t and probably won’t install any non-music related apps since I have various tablets for that purpose.

I’m a big fan and user of headphone convolution filters and really like the fact I can use these filters with the M11 Plus via the Fiio Roon and Roon Remote combination.

I’ve successfully started to transfer music onto the microSD card. I’m really looking forward to using the M11 Plus as a music player when good internet is not available, such as during a plane flight. Most of the music I put on the microSD card is either standard or high resolution flac files. I did put one album in DSD on the card and the Fiio Music app plays it flawlessly in native DSD.

Since I have the Focal Bathys I also tested the USB audio out function and it works quite well. Of course with the Bathys I would be bypassing the Fiio’s DAC and amp functions but I would be getting wonderful sound nonetheless and active noise cancellation. I would most likely only use the Bathys when traveling. Of course I will compare the sound of the Bathys via USB DAC mode and straight wired mode.

It’s much too soon to make any meaningful comments on the overall sound quality of the M11 Plus but I like what hearing so far. I will post some comments are I’ve had more time with the M11 Plus.

A few questions:

What is the purpose of the included “coaxial adapter cable”?

How does one get the screen to go into landscape mode, for example when watching a video? The “rotate screen” setting just flips the screen 180 degrees, not 90 degrees.

1 Like

Coax is for a digital out to another DAC so you sue it purely as a streamer, same as it’s usb out function as well as usb in.

1 Like

I am still on an “early” stage :slight_smile: From the SQ it is great!

Not much testing - have been “out-off-home”.

When I use “FiiO Roon” with an iPhone than it is just fine. But now I have installed “Roon Remote”. I find it a bit strange that I have to start “FiiO Ronn” and than “Roon Remote” to get it working as Roon Remote.

And:

Maybee I have been looking at the wrong place. But I can’t find it. I can only see this:

But that is already disabled.

Torben

PS: And on the front this:

Great to read your early thoughts @Jazzfan_NJ. I’m looking forward to hearing more from you as you try it out with different headphones. Your collection is very impressive :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think this device goes into landscape mode. I don’t know if it physically has accelerometers or other position/motion sensing hardware (it might given the Snapdragon SOC) but whether or not it does, I don’t think they’re enabled. As you’ve figured out, it can flip 180 degrees but that’s it. It’s actually clever that it flips in that orientation given that it has ports on the top and bottom and if you put it into a stand, you’ll presumably want the port you’re using at the top.

Your use case of loading up a microSD card and then using your Bathys headphones actually makes sense to me for things like plane flights. It would be a really nice source device for that sort of thing.

Prior to the pandemic, I used to do quite a bit of work-related travel to Europe. Some to India. Was actually about to start regular travel to Africa (cancelled the first trip when the initial outbreak occurred). I’m doing none now but if I were to start up again, I would buy the Bathys without hesitation and then it would be a matter of deciding whether to use an iPhone or the M11 as source. I’m not sure which route I’d go.

This gets me thinking, though. @Johnny_Ooooops …you following along here? When you’re in house #2, could you use client VPN on a DAP like the M11 and get it to work as a Roon zone as if it were in house #1? I think I’m going to play with this. It would mean that for out-of-the-house cases where you have decent WiFi, you could use Roon instead of ARC. That would be pretty interesting.

Thanks for the compliments.

Also in my headphone collection is the wonderful sounding but very poorly supported AKG N90Q. These headphones, like the Focal Bathys, has active noise cancelation and a built in DAC, however, unlike the Bathys, the Fiio M11 Plus “sees” the AKGs when I plug them into the USB C port but alas, they do not play the music :frowning_face:

My take on the whole Roon ARC thing is that since I started using Qobuz and Tidal my need for Roon ARC just isn’t that great. Unlike Tidal, Qobuz and any other music streaming service, Roon ARC requires that my Roon Core and my home network are both running and working, which is fine for brief away from home use. On longer trips away for home there are times when my network and/or Roon Core just aren’t available due to those annoying Windows updates or a local power outage. The streaming services are always available anywhere one has Wi-Fi or cellular service.

Now back to listening to the Fiio M11 Plus, that is once I decide which headphones to use. :rofl: :headphones: :grin: