Fiio M15 DAP downplaying the track quality

Currently no Android device can talk directly to high quality DAC and send bit perfect Signal to it, Because Roon have no access to them and can’t bypass OS Kernel, all playback just sub-optimal and compromised, including Android based new A&K players SR15/SE100/SP1000 https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/astell-kern-adds-new-features-to-high-resolution-portable-audio-line promised to be Roon ready 2 years ago but not deliver even 2nd generation machine (SR25/SE200/SP2000) already hit the market, sadly speaking. Promised improvements more than a year ago still show no sign of coming https://community.roonlabs.com/t/android-phone-as-endpoint/55894/21

1 Like

At a minimum Roon should correct the sample rate issue and output without up/down sampling.

They added it as before the playback on Android was so unstable. But I agree I would like to see it optional so those devices that don’t system resample can work as they should. But getting Roon to show it as bit perfect would be another issue as without any interaction or instructions about the DAC it won’t have any idea. Even UAPP says this as a caveat that even though it shows what it is there is no guarantee thats what you get.

Shocked when I see that my Fiio M11 Pro audio output got resampled by Roon on android. Upsampling makes music sounds smoother but more distant. Some may find this enjoyable, but I expected Roon to do bit-perfect to the DAC.

I’m on trial in Roon and spent a few days adding music to Roon and correcting metadata, and now just discovered this when I tried it on my DAP. And Googling this issue it looks like it’s been the same since 2017? This just saved me $120 per year (or $699 lifetime licence)

1 Like

Roon team. Is there any way to make Roon better behave with Android in order to not get forced upsampling / downsampling? My FIIO M15 is a nice piece of work and supports DSD. I am too disappointed to not get my Roon DSD upsampling capabilities in my M15… Please tell me there is hope

I have a FiiO M11 and I have the same issue as above. I still think it sounds good and I really don’t think it’s a big problem. However it would be awesome if Roon could bypass the android driver and make the signal truly lossless when playing higher bitrates.

1 Like