FIIO M15s + Roon vs Fiio R7 + Roon

I have the Fiio R7 and am super happy with the sound quality, and especially that it works with Roon to achieve lossless playback. I thought the same would be true with the Fiio M15s, but unbelievably, it’s not the case. The Roon playback chain has more steps than the R7 and shows up as High Quality only. I’ve tried a variety of different file types to make sure this wasn’t an MQA specific issue and it isn’t. Somehow there must be a hardware difference between the R7 and M15 S that is causing this or is there are some kind of down sampling/up sampling going on with the M15s? Anyone else out there faced this issue and or have thoughts about the cause? (NOTE: in both cases, the R7 and M15S are wireless Roon endpoints)

If you’re using the remote on the device it defaults to the audio path for the remote app and not Roon Ready as the output for Roon. You need to ensure your on latest firmware, to ensure you have the FiiO Roon app installed. Then make sure the FiiO Roon app is running you need to do this at each power on for Roon to see it. This will then make this a Roon Ready zone, enable it and disable the one marked This Phone as that’s the Roon Remotes audio path which is the same as any Android phone or tablet and will resample.

2 Likes

Absolutely brilliant advice! Worked perfectly. Playback chain is now lossless. Thank you!

1 Like