FiiO R7 - Desktop All-In-One

A couple of in-depth reviews of the R7, both quite positive.

Headfonics Review: FiiO R7 Review — Headfonics

Android Central Review: Fiio R7 review: One network streamer to rule them all | Android Central

5 Likes

Soundnews R7 review. It’s an interesting watch. He’s very positive on the unit but considers the PL50 (add-on linear power supply) a required buy.

A really interesting device that is piquing my interest for my home office desktop music.

Currently have a Matrix Audio Mini-i3 running into a pair of Genelec studio monitors. Mainly used as a Roon endpoint but I also have to include a Raspberry Pi and Allo Digione hat to cover off Spotify connect and streaming from BBC Sounds here in the UK.

The R7 would replace both of these.

1 Like

I will be attending CanJam Singapore later this month and FiiO is listed as one of the exhibitors so hopefully there will be a R7 there to listen to. If so then I will give it a listen, run it through its paces and report back with a detailed impression and a few photos. The R7 has the potential to be a giant killer - I’m looking at you, Niam.

I understand why. I would expect the R7 to pair quite nicely with a pair of powered Genelec.

I see the R7 as a credible alternative to something like a Naim Uniti HE, which could also do everything you’re looking. An R7 and PL50 combination is a fraction of the price.

The KB1 looks nice, too, and is a cheap addition.

1 Like

I received one today (Fiio official store on AliExpress) and plugged it in, plugged ethernet and balanced cables to active Adam Audio F5 speakers on my desktop. Opened Roon and found the unit and it fired up immediately. Sounds really good on first impression although it is a new desk location so not a ton of reference. This is a really convenient solution for me.

3 Likes

Also I’ve since yesterday a R7 with the power supply SL50.
From the build quality you can’t compare the R7 with the Naim Uniti Atom HE or a MA element i2 (I’m owning all the items), but it’s a complete other price range.
As Roon endpoint the R7 works without problems, but if you want a standalone system with a connected HDD/SSD, then you’ll missing soon some USB connections and also the performance (I’ve connected a 8TB SSD filled with 6 TB music files) in scanning, searching and start playing music isn’t perfect.

But this problem occurs with nearly all commercial streamers…

3 Likes

I’ve also a MA mini-i3 pro and my first impression is, that I like the DAC implementation from MA a bit more, but the headphone amp in the R7 seems to be superior.
If you need only Spotify and internet radio as an add to Roon, I would take a look to the MA element i2.
At the moment here in Germany the Fiio Bluetooth remote RM3 isn’t available and so the remote from MA is also a plus.

Thanks - I have been tempted on and off by the MA element i2 but it’s over $1,500 and I’m not sure I can justify the expense to replace the Mini-i 3 which I use as my home office desk system.

Congratulations on this! I still think it’s a very interesting device and I’m glad to see it in use!

Have you formed an opinion about the SL50? Is the difference as dramatic as at least one reviewer noted?

I know the review and hear also a difference in using the SL50 or not (a real A/B comparison isn’t possible for me), but there are (for me) more subtil differences primarily in the bass area.

1 Like

Just put my order in! I plumped for this for my bedroom listening station. I already have the PL50 that I use with my M17, so looking forward to using this with the R7 as a more permanent/convenient solution :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking forward to getting some of your feedback once that is up and running :+1:

2 Likes

I was using my M17 with the 4.4mm LO into a Monoprice Monolith THX AAA headphone amplifier via the XLR inputs.

It sounded great, and gave me a desktop solution when I wanted to use the M17 with an external amp. I have a 4-pin XLR cable that I use with my Beyer T1’s.

The R7 just looks like a more elegant, convenient solution for bedroom listening :smiley:

1 Like

I hope you enjoy this. It seems like a perfect device for that use.

1 Like

I can definitely see (and maybe hear) the attraction of that solution

1 Like

It should be arriving today, so I’ll post some initial impressions later today :smiley:

Excellent as I imagine there will be quite a few interested in this device and wanting some first hand experience from someone who has had time with a high quality DAP to compare with.
Have fun for all of us :grin:

1 Like

Well, so far, so good. The fit & finish is peerless. Maybe not quite ‘Sony quality’, but not too far off. FiiO has come on leaps-and-bounds in this respect in the last few years. The unit also has some heft, and comes with everything you need to get going.

Flawless Roon integration, as should be expected.

Let’s get down to some listening when the kids go to bed! :hugs:

I have Senny HD800, HD820, Beyer T1.2, T5 & DT1770 at my disposal!

2 Likes

Will that work running Roon by simply plugging in an iPhone using USB from a camera adapter? If so, that would be the answer for me. It would use regular Verizon data instead of hotspot data when away from home.

EDIT: Probably not. Sounds like it’s a Roon endpoint device, not a full blown Roon computer device. That was probably a dumb question.