Filter/Track discussion thread

Hi SJB,

No screenshots (will try tomorrow), but there are three main “go to” filters that I use in HQP so I’ll talk about those.

Firstly for drum sounds (jazz or rock/pop) the filter I like is poly-sinc-short-mp. This is a minimal phase filter, meaning it is optimised so that the signal spends the shortest possible time transiting through the filter. The advantage is that enables detailed dynamic transients like explosive drum sounds. The disadvantage is that because higher frequencies transit faster than lower frequencies there is some blurring in the time domain, affecting sound staging. The soundstage is still very good, but not as wide as the choices below. I use this filter most.

For classical or some live recordings I like poly-sinc. This is a linear phase filter meaning it is optimised so that all frequencies in the signal spend the same time transiting the filter. This enables a wide spacious soundstage at the expense of slightly less dynamic transients.

The other filter I use is closed form. This is the same kind of filter that Chord use in the Hugo TT so will be interesting in your setup as it will let you compare how the greater computing power in your server affects the sound. HQP dynamically allocates available resources to use as many “taps” (think of them as data points approaching a limit) as it can. I like closed form a lot, it sounds spatially deep and broad and is very detailed. Good for classical and saxophones. I also like the Dirty Three in closed form.

Try them out and let us know what you think.

1 Like