Finding Audiophile versions of albums

Is there a way to search for Mo Fi, Analogue Productions, and other audiophile versions in Roon?

I have a small library but have Qobuz connected.

On Qobuz? No. They are not available. So called audiophile remaster labels are in the business of selling physical media. Very rarely are their wares also on streaming services. That is probably both a business decision and a licensing legal limitation.

AJ

Makes sense. Thanks.

That’s the beauty of Roon. Buy the medium, record them to your hard drive using good equipment and now you have a better version you can stream anywhere. :wink:

Sound better than any stream too.

Just buy them and rip for best quality. But there’s No need to buy these remasters. First pressings usually sound better and can be cheaper.
If you really want the best sound quality then you need to avoid streaming services. They are fine for convenience on phones etc, when travelling.
But for hifi sound there’s no substitute for the real thing

I think the highest resolution is actually reel to reel. CD actually has higher dynamic range than vinyl technically. It really depends on the vinyl or cd. I suggest using the loudness database.

For instance for Pink Floyds The Wall, the album with the greatest dynamic range is actually a CD, but not all CD’s of The Wall beat the vinyl.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/dr-max/desc?artist=Pink%20floyd&album=The%20wall

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. In comparing CDs copied to a SSD with Qobuz versions, sometimes I prefer the latter (even if just 16/44.1), but sometimes not. As for comparing CDs played on a CD transport to a copy played from SSD, I find it hard to make a judgement.

All depends, I think.

I think the mastering makes the most difference.
More than whether it’s 16bit or hi-res.

2 Likes

This!

People think they have a preference for steam over cd, over a ripped cd etc, in most cases it’s just that they are completely different masters and as such of course they sound different.

Many of my records sound better because they’re old releases that haven’t been messed with or “remastered” by Jimmy page 15 times. As such, they sound better than CD even though the medium itself is less capable

On the flipside, things that were mastered for digital often sound better that way. My cd of massive attacks “protection” beats the living crap out of the vinyl release.