FLIRC for Remote Control?

Any chance it would be possible to use a FLIRC in a Lumin USB port to allow use of basic remote control of transport/volume? I realize Lumin now has a remote available but I’m not digging the monster IR receiver and the $500 price. All I really care about is a handheld remote for quick volume change and mute, so I don’t have to fumble with tablet/phone.

Cheers,
Robert

The price is wrong, or somebody attempted to sell it well above the suggested price.

1 Like

Indeed you’re correct. I checked in the emails I sent to a variety of Canadian dealers a few months back and they were all within a few dollars of each other at $350 - my faulty memory. From what I’ve seen it’s a thing of beauty, but it’s too rich for my simplest of needs.

I take it the FLIRC/USB control (seen as keyboard by most O/S) is not an option?

Cheers,
Robert

We avoided adding protection for our accessory for now. Someone might be able to add compatible options.

3 Likes

Thank you Peter. Understood.

Loving the T2, by the way!

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

I’m not sure if the FLIRC remote will work with the Lumin. Lumin uses non-standard control codes, I tested it on standard universal remote control with USB receiver. Only fast rewind for 10 seconds and return to the previous track worked.

If you want to use a FLIRC-remote with Lumin (or any other device/zone), you could do this with a RaspberryPi running Roopieee and a FLIRC-receiver. Setup is really easy and it works quite well. If you want to proceed in this way I could give you the details of how to get it to work, since I had this setup for quite a while.

IMO the better solution for controlling Roon is this:

I have used this as soon as it was available and couldn’t be happier.

3 Likes

My reason for wanting to be able to use a FLIRC receiver with my streamer is temporary and thus why I wanted to avoid purchasing the official Lumin remote.

I normally don’t use the volume control in Lumin, preferring it to be max and I use a preamp. But I want to send the preamp away for modifications and will be without for 6 weeks or so.

While the variable output works very well with Roon/Lumin, I intensely dislike a “screen-based” volume control. With a physical remote I can vary volume instantly with my eyes closed.

The FLIRC may well not be doable. It’s not the end of the world and will only be for a few weeks.

However, @Elmar_Heimes I may be interested in your Surface Dial / RPi solution for this IF it can be adapted to another idea I have after I’ve gotten my preamp back in the system. This is unrelated to Lumin, so I’ll create a new thread about it elsewhere. Or perhaps just inject into the thread you already have about your extension.

Cheers,
Robert

I’m using in my system FLIRC (on Ropieee) and also the Lumin remote.
The lumin remote will work much smoother and faster than FLIRC and you can get it here in Europe for < 200€.

1 Like

You could use the absence of your preamp for a thorough evaluation of Lumin’s Leedh-processing. I did that and it led to me selling my preamp (Pass XP 10): It simply sounded better without it, even though I really loved the amp.
And with a physical remote (Lumin, Surface Dial or FLIRC) you do not give up any comfort in operating your system.
But as always: YMMV.

1 Like

@Elmar_Heimes I have used the Lumin directly without my preamp extensively. I can’t fault this approach for some, but I much prefer to have a tube-based preamp in the chain. It just brings the sound that works best for my ears.

I have entered my idea for use of the Dial/RPi into your existing RooDial thread. I hope it’s something you will consider.

Cheers,
Robert

FYI: I am just a customer of RooDial - other than using and recommending it enthusiastically I have no affiliation to the product.

1 Like

Wow. I guess my dementia has well and truly taken over. Lol. Apologies, not sure how I got that idea.

Cheers,
Robert

Don’t worry: I rather see this as a compliment - wish I had the expertise to program a useful tool like that. :slight_smile: