Focus on subfolders

@mike I’ve been thinking that it would be really useful to be able to focus on specific sub-folders within a watched folder…

When focus on location was initially suggested, I was told there is an architectural limitation stopping this kind of focus. That might just mean it’s a load of work. :wink:

It would certainly be VERY VERY useful.

we dont store an index of file paths, as it large impact on memory.

so anything in the gui that would require fast access to the paths across your library are left out.

Also, a core goal of this system, going back to the late 1990s, was to leave the files out of music. Files and directories are plumbing, and do not belong anywhere near the music experience. I realize you have over a decade of experience mucking with files and directories, but it’s not where we want the product to go. In Sooloos, we pushed this to an extreme with directories named after internal data structures. We dont do that anymore with Roon, but we it’s not our intention to make this a file focused application.

1 Like

can you give me some use cases where the directory structure really matters to you? I’d like to figure out how to make your use cases reasonable, without introducing files/directories into the product.

@danny I can probably live without it.

At the moment, I’m pre-grooming my collection so that Roon has the best possible chance of getting the match correct first time. However, if I dump a whole load of albums into my watched folder, it’s a nightmare finding all the new ones!

I can work around this with a second watched folder, but I’ll then have to move the albums into the “main” folder when I’m happy.

I may simply have to structure my music a bit differently and have lots of watched folders.

This is where album (or track URL) would be useful in the XL file.
E.g. Sort by albums with no ID and hit the URL.
Fixed the tags.

I know this flies against the “fix in the app” approach but some times you want to fix stuff outside too.

Joel
I use 6 Watched Folders at the moment for different purposes…and I may end out with 1 or 2 more…the Folders I have are

Core Std Res…including Favourite Albums and Artists etc
Core High Res
Occasional Std Res
Occasional High Res
New Std Res
New High Res

I figure that this might help later on with “portability”…e.g. Large Library at home…with Subsets of that Library at the office or for Travel / Holiday purposes

Just food for thought

1 Like

[quote=“danny, post:4, topic:411, full:true”]
can you give me some use cases where the directory structure really matters to you? I’d like to figure out how to make your use cases reasonable, without introducing files/directories into the product.
[/quote]My main library is stored on a server. If I’m on the road or visiting a friend and wanting to listen to music or show off Roon’s capabilities I may copy a selection of my library to a local drive and be on my way. I wouldn’t want the albums to appear as duplicates in my core library as a result of having a 2nd copy available for local play.

In Settings, “Enable” the Local Folder when you’re away from the Home Roon Server

The “Disable” the local folder when back at home