Focusable variable that identifies performances that are unlinked to metadata and unmatched with any other composition/performance

My request is this: create a “focus-able” variable that identifies any performances that are unlinked to metadata and unmatched with any other composition/performance. I can elaborate on the use case as you need.

And now the question. When attempting to link a performance to its metadata, it is often necessary to import a TIDAL or Qobuz album containing an “official” performance to serve as an “exemplar” of sorts. Once the metadata link has been established, can the TIDAL/Qobuz album be deleted without affecting the newly established linkage? Or must these exemplar-containing albums remain in my library? User opinions vary.

At the risk of pushing my luck, will we ever get around this exemplar issue/problem?

The primary issue of assuring that all performances in a library be identified, linked to any metadata, and grouped with other performances. Thanks for thinking about this.

I’m not sure if it helps but maybe some of what you want to achieve would work by

• using the composition browser and tag all entries with some tag like “identified composition” and then
  • apply the invertedidentified composition” tag as an album browser focus.

My rationale: if a track is a performance of a known composition it will be catched by the “identified composition” tag in another browsers’ focus, too. So if the tag gets inverted, it’s working like an unlinked performance / unknown composition filter. Does this make sense / would it help your use case?

It’s static though - you’d have to update the tag manually every time you want to make use of it …

It would be even better if this could get used in the track browser but there it will fail because a tag assigned to compositions cannot be used as a focus in the track browser (I’ve hinted at something like this last December).

1 Like

So, this would identify all ALBUMS that have unIDed compositions, yes? Then one could manually inspect to discover the particular works. Yeah, could well work.

I was coming at it from the composition screen. I hoped there would be a focus on unIDed there.

I think it should - but am not sure because composition tags on albums may not behave as I expect. When I tried this it looked like valid results got produced. Maybe it helps to catch at least some of the unIDed stuff, if not all.

Update: what you will not catch that way are compositions (and the related performances) which are identified only locally through file tags; those are shown as compositions and therefore included in my “identified compositions” tag.