Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

I think bookmarks would be a lot more useful if they could be organised in some way. At the moment I don’t use them much, but simply because a long scrolling list is unwieldy. If I could organise them into - dare I say it - folders (or some other hierarchical structure) they’d be a lot more manageable and useful.

1 Like

I entirely agree that that is one of the main points I was referring to. If Roon wants to avoid folders of any sort at all costs, it could instead give us a page on the main menu to go to bookmarks, and that page could have boxes or something where we organize bookmarks. Roon says folders are not necessary, but defaulting to long scrolling lists alone isn’t better.

1 Like

Don’t trolls turn to stone in daylight ?

Lord of the Rings or was it the Hobbit. My classical education fails me with age, I read them when I was a hippy

The Hobbit. Gandalf voice tricks.

1 Like

Or was it Dr. Who? I seem to recall these scary statues that could move in the dark and froze to stone in the light.

Weeping Angels – They could only move when not being viewed… “Don’t Blink”.

2 Likes

Oh yeah that’s right, thank you. They were creepy!

1 Like

A lot of roon has that ‘half-finished’ feel. I’m not sure why that is. I assume these sorts of requirements are really from a handful.

It seems unlikely that hierarchical folder organization at an OS file system level is going away anytime soon. It has been there since at least the late 1960’s (Multics which Unix copied). Periodically there are academic attempts to replace it. But all have failed. Probably the most recent serious commercial failure was from Microsoft.

But in terms of tag-based replacements for folder navigation, a lot could be done. I don’t know what the plans were/are for the roon API / Extension Manager. It just seems to me that the effort involved for a fully worked out replacement for folder navigation / search would be considerable. It is not clear to me whether the roon customer base warrants either an internal or external 3rd party effort. But here is a nice example some may not be aware of:

2 Likes

I don´t want to read 429 post. So - if posible - in short:
No browse by folder: Is it for ideologically reasons / company philosophy or are there technical reasons?

1 Like

This is a long, old thread. I think it is safe to say from roon responses that at the beginning it was considered more of a technical problem. Converging roon’s relational object model with a folder hierarchical model is not impossible but certainly challenging.

Over the years that hardened into an ideological / philosophical position.

There are only 2 things we feel so strongly about that we will not even entertain the idea of implementing: folder browsing and UPnP/DLNA streaming.

From what I can see roon’s current position is that it welcomes discussion of this issue as long as it is constructive in terms of replacements for folder browsing.

Ah ah from the original books , not the movie …

If I recall correctly, the main technical concern was that it would be confusing to navigate to folders because network or folder location differs relative to the device. I.e what is the path to a folder on a NAS from an iPad?

To me that was more of an excuse. Path would obviously be from the core. That philosophy is already in place for storage configuration.

Given Roon’s tone on this, it’s pretty clear it is philosophical.

1 Like

You are probably referring to this. It is actually in this thread, much further up and a long, long time ago.

That is history now. I do think though that productive discussion is still possible in terms of tags/bookmarks/other options.

1 Like

Hi,

I find this thread rather interesting…but since your post there are numerous responses afterward. I’d prefer not to read them all, despite my interest. So can you possibly provide me with an accurate summation?

Thank you for your understanding. :grinning:

To me, it is clearly ideological.

1 Like

ideological / philosophical – nothing technical. in fact, the technical problems are trivial.

I address this in another thread:

But the short of it is: this will never happen.

There are 2 topics we are firm on not supporting: UPnP and file/folder browsing. For everything else, we are open-minded.

4 Likes

Can you share how you see tags, bookmarks and profiles developing Danny ? Are nested bookmarks likely ?

1 Like

Not that I can really speak for anyone else, but per my observations in this thread and other related ones, generally I think the Roon user base has accepted this; some might not agree with it, but you’ve certainly made that much clear.

I think Andy’s question is then right on point. What will Roon offer instead of folder organization that will render it completely unneeded or undesirable (i.e so that we can all clearly see your offering as the better way)? Because to be direct, I do not think that Roon is completely there yet.

Here are the areas that I see are related:

—Bookmark functionality
—Tag functionality
—Playlist organization
—Tag organization
—Bookmark organization
—Box sets
—Non-commercial/no metadata media (from self created audio to podcasts to bootlegs)
—Ability play media without being cataloged into the library (drag and play or navigate to file and play)

I’m sure I could think of more. I personally am trying to be open minded about how no folder organization whatsoever could be the better way, but I’m not seeing it yet. Please help me see it!

2 Likes

Isn’t that what I said?