Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

It is to easy to say that I have to find another interface to use. I can imagine that there are a lot of classical music lovers like me who ripped the CD’s to enjoy the flexibility of an app like Roon.
A more constructieve attitude would be to investigate the possibility to build in such a possibility.

@Peter_van_Westing

The folks at Roon have made it very clear that folder based browsing will NEVER happen. It’s not a technical problem. It’s a philosophical choice on their part. You will be wasting your time if you try to persuade them otherwise. Please look here:

Thanx for answering. I am very disdappointed about their choice not to be client minded.
Do you know an app that supports the folder browsing?

Roon have been up front about this from the very start as others have said already, they have also explained their rational in great detail.
If you want to use Roon it’s a matter of changing hard learned habits which can be uncomfortable, but once you do, it’s all just so easy…
I liken it to learning something new on my guitar, you have to put the effort in, but when you do the rewards are clear and easy…

You might want to give JRiver a look. It is designed to play music in the background while one browses their music data structures. It has its own expression language to let you customize views and searches. There are almost no distractions like graphics and streaming, so one can really keep their focus on the metadata. It has a very large community of database administrators and programmers to draw from. Really a fun bunch of guys.
It’s also quite a bit cheaper than Roon. I think I paid around $50 for a license maybe 15 years ago. It does give users the option to upgrade to virtually indistinguishable new versions every few years, which is comforting.

3 Likes

Do you get better results if you browse by composer?

Classical metadata being what it is you may still not get satisfactory results, but if your own tagging is better you can tell Roon to use that.

Warning: classical metadata and tagging in Roon can be a minefield…

this thread is getting long… closing it out as there is nothing more to say here.

4 Likes