For those with multiple Pi/RoPieee streamers/endpoints and HQPlayer

I’m running HQPlayer/NAA on my RoPieeeXL Pi.

HQPlayer runs on the Roon Core (a mac mini in my case) and I specify the RoPieee endpoint from the HQPlayer preference window. (I’m assuming this is true for everyone, right?)

How are you running multiple Pi/RoPieee streamers? Do you need to go back into the core computer itself and change the endpoint every time you play to a different zone?

If you play to multiple zones at once (which I think is possible with RoPieee), do you just use the RoPieee endpoints without HQPlayer/NAA?

1 Like

Just bumping this, as I’m about to pick up a second rasp pi, and thought I’d see if anyone had any insights…

I know nothing about RoPieee. But pay attention that you have a different name for each NAA, otherwise you will have strange behavior and problems.

Yep, i hear you there.

Having different names isn’t a problem. Just wanted to determine whether I needed to specify the NAA from the Core. I’m guessing that’s so. (In the same way that I’d do it if the NAA was on a mac.)

Was just wondering about how the folks running raspberry pi’s with HQPlayer/NAA are doing it. As there’s no way to run HQPlayer natively on the pi, like you could on a mac roon endpoint.

Of course you can, HQPlayer OS is provided for x64 and Pi4 platforms. Given the very limited CPU power of Pi4 you are basically limited to PCM upsampling mostly up to 8x rate and with some filters to 16x rate. And you need to pay attention to have proper CPU and RAM cooling, otherwise thermal throttling will pose additional processing power limitations on Pi.

ah, cool. Not sure why I thought it could only work with NAA.

Thank you!

so, I should ask, is this where one would use HQPlayer embedded?

HQPlayer OS is custom OS designed for HQPlayer Embedded (just like NAA OS is for NAA) and naturally includes HQPlayer Embedded. It’s a full reference device firmware with OS and all needed software. You just boot it up and you are ready to go.