FS: Fanless 8i5 & 8i7 NUCs in Akasa cases ideal for ROCK - to order

Having built and sold a few fanless NUCs suitable for ROCK here (as well as building a couple to order) - I’m now in the process of building two more and I wanted give any potential UK buyers give a heads up in case anyone is looking for a particular spec.

There are options over cases (the normal Akasa Turing - or the low profile Akasa Plato), CPU (I have an 8i7 and an 8i5), memory (8, 16 or 32G - in 2 cards for optimum performances) and internal media storage (an additional SSD of up to 8Tb).

They will have correct power supplies (from Intel’s UK distributer) - as well as new SSDs and memory as needed).

The 8th generation NUCs are particularly well suited for Roon - they have faster cpus that the later 10th generation - and are now well priced compared to current models. The 8i5 performs at the same level as the 7i7 in the Roon Nucleus plus - and the 8i7 used to be described by Roon as the best NUC they’d tested.

Costs will be in the region of GBP 550-700 (excluding media storage) depending on spec (plus £20 shipping).

So if you’ve looking for a specific spec - please send me a message.

Otherwise I will post once I’ve build and tested what I think makes sense.

I’m building these as an enthusiast - but I take it seriously - and do everything I can to make these great machines.

I’m also happy to help the buyers get these installed and working if needed.

4 Likes

This is not entirely true. There are a lot of assumptions in these statements.
The CPU performance stats that can be found online shows that single core performance is pretty similar, so the decision is more of a “how many zone’s are you planning” and then decide between 4 or 6 CPU Cores.
And when it comes to transplanting these into a fanless chassi, the 15w TDP of the Gen 10 CPU’s are very welcome, and will be a better fit in all aspects. The Gen10 are significantly leaner on heat for a similar performance.

Still, real life ROCK performance does not display any advantage for the Gen8 i7 whatsoever, rather the other way around.

Perhaps not the best place to repeat the discussions from elsewhere eg

I’m sure we can agree that the 8i5 and 8i7 make very good ROCK machines.