GEEKOM i9 NUC - Anyone installed ROCK on it?

Wondering if anyone has tried this i9 NUC with ROCK:

Thx!

I have an 11i7 version but use Dietpi. Fast little machine but they run hot. Had to turn turbo off to have it cooler as they really don’t have a lot of space in them.

1 Like

Once RoonOS added support for UEFI boot, basically any Intel PC can be a ROCK/MOCK. Some might run into driver issues for things like HDMI output, etc. But if just Ethernet in/out, that should be fine.

AJ

1 Like

I actually set the BIOS in my NUC10i7FNH to “turbo boost” (or whatever the name is for the fastest CPU). Fan turns on at times, like when analyzing new files I add to it, but like I said it is in my office so it doesn’t really matter.

As I read reviews of the GEEKOM i9, I found that it is not really operating at the full i9 speed as its cooling ability is limited.

I am very curious as to whether I can get a super-snappy Roon experience if I through hardware at it. Unclear I think, but I might be wrong.

So if I were to go that route, maybe a beefy PC with Win11Pro might be the better option. I like, but are not necessarily tied to, the appliance nature of ROCK.

You can but do not have to go with Windows 11 on a “beefy PC.” ROCK/MOCK is not limited to mini PCs.

Now that UEFI is standard in RoonOS, assume that any PC will install and work. Be surprised if it does not.

AJ

What is MOCK?

Roon officially supports ROCK only on the listed Intel NUC variants.

AJ

I don’t need it for Roon or others as the base speed of the cpu is 3.6ghz it goes to 5ghz with turbo hence why it gets hot. But the base is more than enough to manage with all my server apps running.

1 Like