Genre Editing (seems impossible)

I’ve only been using Roon for about a month. Mostly it’s OK, but the genres are driving me mad!

Can I rename a Roon genre?
For example I’d like to change “International” to “World”.

I also want to delete some of the Roon Genres.
For example get rid of “Adult Contemporary”

Given that the whole Genre tree is simply a set of parent-child relationships, it should be easy to prune. And I have to believe it is set up using IDs rather than labels, so that it can be used in other languages, so changing a label should be easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No

Unfortunately, genres can’t be deleted, either. But you can create a new top level Genre like “Dump”, then move other genres into it by changing their parent genre to “Dump”.

1 Like

Thanks Suedkiez

I thought that was the answer, but wanted someone with more experience to confirm.
I created a ‘zzz’ genre and been pushing stuff to there. So same idea as the ‘Dump’.
Then pushed ‘zzz’ under sub-genre I won’t visit often, so I don’t see it very often.

Thanks again
Martyn

2 Likes

You could opt to use the genre embedded in your files rather than Roon genres if that would be helpful

thanks for that.
I use a combination of my genres and Roon’s. 80% of the time Room’s ideas are fine. But the amount of sub-genres is mad … very US, rock music centric.
To redo all my tracks would be a nightmare. Would just like to delete genre branches that are of no use (to me).

1 Like