Genre Hierarchy Issues

@support, not sure if this is a support, metadata or feature request issue but here goes.

I am finding odd behavior with several of my genre hierarchy edits. For example, with film music I have set up the following hierarchy:

Classical
    Film Score
    Original Score
Stage & Screen
    Film Music
        Soundtracks
            TV Soundtracks

Initially I am able to add the “Soundtracks” genre to an album via the album editor. But then I find the next day I cannot, because it is no longer visible in the genre drop down of the album editor. I then have to search (hourglass) for “Soundtracks” and edit the genre parent to something other than “Film Music”. After adding the “Soundtracks” genre to the album I then often change the hierarchy back to what I want and groundhog day repeat the entire exercise next time I want to edit genres. I am finding similar behavior with other genre edits I have made.

Any idea what is causing this?

Hi @Tony_Casey,

Have you noticed any patterns in when this behavior occurs (i.e. being unable to add the Soundtracks genre)? After a reboot are things working as expected?

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing in the Album Editor when this isn’t working?

Thanks for responding @dylan

I don’t really see a pattern. Although with this specific Soundtracks use case, it has gone through 3 stages (I may have restarted roon in between, I cannot remember).

1. Initial set up of Soundtracks hierarchy. Works
  2. Next day. Doesn’t work. That is, there is no visibility on Soundtracks genre in Album Editor.
  3. Next Next Day. That is, today, just now. Works and I have visibility on Soundtracks genre in the Album Editor.

I cannot explain this.

But I have another use case (which is why I thought there was a pattern when I initially saw the same issue with Soundtracks). So I have a hierarchy for Classical vocal music. I make “Art Song” the parent genre of “Lieder”

Classical
    Vocal Music
        Art Song
            American Art Song
            English Art Song
            Lieder
            Mélodie

I have visibility on “American Art Song” in the Album Editor genre drop-down:

But not “Lieder”

My work around is I make “Lieder” a top level genre, add it to an album and then change it back to the hierarchy I really want.