Get ARC to work with Huawai HG8247U

Hello

I try to get ARC working with a Huawei modem HG8247U.

Roon is running on a PC directly connected to the modem. I also have a TP Link Archer configured as Access Point, but disabling the access point did not solve the situation.

When testing for ARC in ROON, I got the following error message:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“31.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“100.ddd.eee.fff”},
“status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.100.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

On the model/router UPNP is configured, and a port-forwarding rule has been created automatically.

Why is this not working? Any suggestions?
regards
Jan

The diagnostics you’ve provided suggest there is a redundant layer of network address translation preventing port forwarding.

This can either be at the local-network level (commonly as a result of two routers), or at the level of your service provider (in the form of carrier-grade NAT).

If your setup involves an ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination) and your own third-party router:

• In the web administration interface of the ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination), enable Bridge Mode or equivalent, where the ISP-provided gateway does not have DHCP routing enabled.

• Alternatively, if you have already created a manual port forwarding rule in your 3rd party router, you can add an additional rule to forward the port through the ISP/second router.

If you only have one router in your setup or your modem is already in Bridge mode, please take a look through our list of known router and internet service provider solutions, as other users may have already encountered the same situation: ISPs and Routers: List of Known Solutions and Workarounds

You can reach out directly to your service provider to ask if they support port forwarding; this question will often enough to prompt them to explain whether or not the carrier-grade NAT they’ve implemented can function with ARC.

More specifically, you can pass along the following questions:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?

If you’re unable to locate an existing solution in our #support:port-forwarding-resources subcategory, please reach out to the Roon support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?
1 Like

Hi @Cooper_Nalou,

The tech support team wanted to check in as some time has passed since your original post. Did you have a chance to review the questions our moderators posted before so we can begin troubleshooting?

Hopefully, ARC is up and running, but we’re here to support, in any case. Thanks!

Hello Connor
Thank you for following-up. I was not able to get ARC up and running. At the level of my router everything seems ok. I did not reach out to the ISP as this was the setup in my holiday home, and didn’t have time to do so.
To be honest, I gave up on ARC both in my holiday home and at home. I am somewhat IT literate, but it has already taken too much of my time to try to get it up and running. It simply is too complicated. If we want ARC to be successful, it should be plug and play. I appreciate that it is a different use case, but for instance home-automation setups such as Philips Hue allow the user to use the app when out of the home. Setting this up was very easy and smooth. This is the type of set-up experience I would have hoped for for ARC.

Hi @Cooper_Nalou,

Thanks for your response! Your feedback is understandable, and I’ll pass it along to the team. For most users, ARC’s port forwarding autoconfiguration or UPnP (Universal Plug-and-Play) compatibility allows for out-of-the-box use without any tinkering. Unfortunately, home setups with multiple routers or managed switches, and the infrastructure imposed by several service providers, prevents some users from enjoying such simplicity.

We’ll happily support you if you want to try again. There are a few steps I might suggest:

1. looking back at your original post, you also mention a Telenet modem. Between these posts, it would appear that you have multiple routers in your setup. If so, make sure you’ve set an identical port forwarding rule (same port and static IP) on all of the routers in your chain, otherwise you’ll continue to bump up against a second layer of NAT.

2. The 998 diagnostic code in your original post generally means that requests outside of ARC are also failing to reach Roon’s servers. Do you have any network security engaged here?

Rest assured the team is actively researching and building workarounds that will democratize plug-and-play access to ARC for all of our users. Some of these initiatives are making good progress. We’ll post updates here if you want to wait for breakthroughs rather than troubleshoot further. In any case, we’ll be standing by for your response.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.