Getting rid of Dropbox - where to backup Roon

Hi all - I have Roon on my QNAP TVS971 - we have 2 x SSD PCIE in there and it still flies after all these years.

I’ve moved from Dropbox to Apple iCloud drive (my world is Apple) but obvs I lose Roon backup to Dropnbox. What would you all suggest?

I don;'t know how to backup to iCLoud drive (if someone could help me that would be cool) and I guess I could stick a giant USB stick in the front of the QNAP and do a “local backup” as well.

I also do local backups onto the NAS but obviously if that goes up in smoke I need another one - on the rare occasions I’ve had to restore Roon - to be honest the Dropbox one has been much more likely to be a full and recent copy than the Hybrid Backup Sync ones …

Possibly doing all this wrong so up for ideas…

Thanks gang!

1 Like

USB sticks may not survive very long. USB SSD drives are better for local backups.

For remote backups, you need a way to copy the backup from the USB or the NAS to some online location. One way would be to script this on the Mac and copy it by SMB from the USB to the iCloud Drive, or you can use Hybrid Backup Sync and some built-in service - Backblaze is cheap and ok for this purpose, but there are others in HBS

1 Like

You’re limiting yourself using iDrive as it’s limited to Apple products. Go for a more well supported backup option that the NAS can connect to. This is what I do. Roon backup to folder on NAS, NAS also syncs my music from Rocks storage to its folder using HBS. HBS then sync up to my cloud backup. Music and daily backup is done each night. I also have a regular weekly and monthly backup of my db. It’s all automatic and I don’t have to use any other computer as an intermediary, which you will if using iDrive.

I have backblaze B2 (and regular back blaze for my Mac) - just from experience either it’s the African internet connectivity or something else but whenever I’ve gone to a Backblaze bucket to rebuild it’s struggled and I’ve ended up using Dropbox version which has always been OK

I’m not sure how to get to cloud drive from HBS… if anyone knows that would be another version

Not sure the diffeewnce between a USB stick and a USB SSD - thought they were the same - as in Solid State :wink:

Thanks!

got it - so I have Roon backup onto my NAS, also backup to Backblaze and B2 - so maybe I already have enough :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately, HBS and iCloud don’t work together, but there are 20 other options in HBS

got it - thanks

The technology differs, there are also several kinds of SSD tech for hard drives depending on the number of expected writes. Every write (and there are lots when backing up Roon) diminishes the life time of an individual SSD storage cell. Hard drives are designed for frequent writing, sticks are not. Many people on the forum have had their sticks fail rather quickly.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hard-drives-ssds-flash-drives-how-long-will-your-storage-media-last/

Use another folder on your desktop and move the files over to iCloud. Or simply choose a folder in your iCloud folder.

I use Jottacloud. As the name suggests, cloud storage, unlimited, $99/year. Seems reliable about uploads, but never tried to restore from it.

I have my Roon Core and library on a QNAP NAS and I do backups on the same NAS. I purchased an external USB docking station with two HDDs and use QNAP’s QSYNC to also copy the backup files and libray to the external drives. Once QSYNC is set up, it is all automatic.

Belt and braces… :wink:

iCLoud drive in there as well

NAS goes to Backblze B2

iMac goes to regular Backblaze as does Lacie Drive…

First off, I think it’s wise in a NAS configuration — because it invites the capability — to use some form of RAID with two drives of redundancy to at least significantly reduce the chances that a single disk error (the most damaging sort of exigency) will cause interruptions or even more major issues.

But of course RAID is not a backup defense at all when it comes to user errors!

In my configuration, I have nightly backups sent to an attached USB 3 drive. So the worst thing that happens is that, during a day’s worth of music curation work, if I do something wrong, I lose that one day’s worth of work (which usually is recoverable without a heart attack!).

I then also have a second monthly backup task using another drive that I then keep offsite (or in a fireproof safe if I can’t get it offsite right away).

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I don’t have cloud backup options available in a practical sense because of my upstream internet connection. This all works quite well for me, at least. One thing I didn’t mention in that post is that I also have a third offsite backup in a different location that I update less frequently, but it gives me a sense if option 1 and 2 fail, I don’t have to have a major heart attack.