Getting started on a QNAP NAS

I want to change to Roon from my present Sooloos on a Meridian system. My hardware is:
Meridian 861v6 upgraded to v8+ID41
MC200
MS 200, Qnap TS-251A 2-bay TS-251A personal cloud NAS/DAS with USB direct access (TS-251A-4G-US), with WD Red 1TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch – WD10EFRX, with iPad control.

My requirements are very basic with no streaming, just run my library on my Qnap with your system.

I have tried to understand your information and have a fear that it may be technically over my head to get your system operating. I have so far figured out that I can run your lifetime subscription on my Qnap if I buy a solid state drive in the second port of my Qnap and upgrade the 2GB ram to 4GB. I seem to have a suitable iPad.

I found on Amazon:
A-Tech 4GB Module for QNAP TS-251 Laptop & Notebook Compatible DDR3/DDR3L PC3-12800 1600Mhz Memory Ram (ATMS364965B12034X1)

Is this ok?

Can your recommend a specific SSD for the second bay in my Qnap?

To set up the Qnap I went to Chris’ website but it is either in German, or the few English bits are way over my head. Do you have instructions for dummies?

I would very much appreciate you steering me in the right direction.

Wish I could help, but I know next to nothing about running Roon from a NAS.

Did you read this?
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

Hi Slim

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I had got there but got stuck on the link to Chris website. Either in German or seemingly much more complicated than my simple need

Aloha,

@crieke, can you help out, if you get a chance?

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg, I have contacted him.

So you’ve got a 14nm Intel® Celeron® N3060 dual-core 1.6GHz (up to 2.48GHz) processor, and 4 GB of RAM. That’s a bit light for recommended specs, but it could work.

Right now I’m running the core on a late-model Synology NAS. You can go to “Package Center” (does QNAP work like that?), and look for a Roon package. Install it, start it, set the parameters, and it should run.

Update: Yes, there is a “Roon Server” app in the QNAP “App Center”. Try installing that.

Update: I’d suggest changing the title of this thread to “Getting started on a QNAP NAS?” to get some help from QNAP users.

I have Roon on a Qnap TVS 471 feeding Meridian 218, MS 200’s and Bluesound endpoints.
Roon should be in the Qnap store as has been already stated. Welcome to the fold.

in the long run, it is better to either 1) buy a NUC and install ROCK or 2) Buy a nucleus. Either choice is a great one.

Thanks Bill,

I’ve changed the title as you recommended.

I’m continuing to search for the simple instructions on how to set up the QNAP so that I can take the leap in to Roon.

Hi Chris,

Do I know you from the HH forum?

I’m still looking for some basic instructions on how to set up the QNAP that I can understand before I start purchasing bits and pieces and the Roon subscription.

Aloha,

Yes, I am on the HH Forum. Same old me.

I used Roon for some time on my Qnap HS 453-DX System, but I was not happy. The cpu consumption running roon and other services e.g. qsirch was high and slows down the cpu (downgrade to avoid overheating). I switched finally to a nucleus+ and I am happy with the decision.

However setting it up ist not complicated, the Qnap store offer the roon core „app“ as download. You have to decide the directory for the roon db and have a pointer to the music files that should be managed by roon, that’s it more or less.

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the help.

I seems like I just have to get the Roon subscription, download the app, and follow the steps. Ok, here I go…

And if I have problems, upgrade my Qnap.

Aloha,

Am a bit late on this but QNAP doesn’t officially support upgrading RAM except with their own (expensive) brand. Other brands should work as long as the specs are in line with what the NAS came with, but there have been cases where the QNAP wouldn’t play nice, especially with XMP modules.

There’s a lot more flexibility with HDD/SDD - the compatility list for the 251B is here (can’t see 251A listed but should be similar): https://www.qnap.com/en-au/compatibility/?model=350&category=1
Nearly all drives will work, even if not on the list - QNAP simply can’t test them all, but at the same time they don’t guarantee anything not on the list.

Been using Seagate IronWolf 110’s as they’re one of the few SSD’s marketed for NAS use.