Giving away my classical CD collection. How best to do this?

This is a quote from the RIAA:

It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying . The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying. Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

Here’s the link: About Piracy - RIAA

I encourage you to keep them. At some point in the future it is highly likely you will be happy you still have them.

3 Likes

No one here wanted to do the Lydell “Dell” Glover or the Shawn Fanning.

Here, no one wants to circumvent a protective mechanism.

No one here wants to make one or more copies for sale.

Here nobody wants to use his private collection commercially.

This is not about piracy as described by the RIAA.

The miserable failure of the music industry’s lawyers can also be seen in the article.

The new growth began with Spotify’s giveaway. Universal, Warner, Sony, Merlin… are highly happy, never as much music was heard as today. The greater convenience leads to streaming and subscription, but if the Internet or Roon fails and still record player, cassette recorder or CD player in the house, you have an alternative. However, computers still work quite well without the Internet and play music from their own hard drives.

It’s like the horses in the stable, they still run when the car doesn’t start. :rofl:

I recently had to give away 250 assorted classical CDs. Did it over Craigslist and could have given them away several times over. Just make sure you meet at neutral location (not your home).

For the proof of ownership requirement, I keep all the physical media that I have ripped. This includes CDs, DVDs, DVD Audio DVDs, SACDs, Blu-Rays, vinyl, and album notes and booklets ripped to pdf. In addition to keeping all this physical media in boxes, I number the storage boxes and include the box number in a metadata field in the ripped media files. This way if I find a problem with a media file I can easily locate the physical media and rip it again if required.

For downloaded media files, I store the order/invoice/receipt documents with the original download files. For use with media players, Roon, etc., I make copies of the original download files, and all metadata updates are made using the copied files.

As to the original question, I use MediaMonkey for CD ripping and some metadata editing. I have been using it for about 20 years. If all you need is CD ripping there are easier to use rippers. Just be sure the ripper uses AccurateRip to ensure a bit accurate rip. To rip SACDs I use an OPPO BDP-103D and software you can find on the internet.

1 Like

I live in NoVa. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in this matter.

You might consider a local library

Hello

I bought a load of these sleeves from Denmark. They display the front and back artwork and the CD/DVD then fits neatly into boxes where you can flick through like looking through Vinyl in a store. I think they are a good buy and you can get 2-CD sleeves too.

1 Like

Hey Steven, I’m in Hyattsville and interested in taking on this collection. I’m just starting to get into classical music and this would be an invaluable resource.

Thanks to all who commented here. It made for a very interesting discussion!

To those interested in my original offer: sorry, I’ve decided to keep the discs.

1 Like