Globally disable “radio” feature?

Please, universal switch to turn it on or off. Default to previous setting when updating the software.
Generally all selectable features should follow that pattern.

1 Like

After swapping out the DAC in my setup, music that I didn’t ask for started playing after an album ended. Then I remembered the “radio” thing. I figured out how to disable, but it should not have happened in the first place and it won’t happen when Roon provides a way to globally disable this option. I remember some time ago, someone at Roon thought that forcing everyone to see “Songkick” on the artist pages was a great idea until many complained about it. It seems that someone at Roon thinks forcing this radio “feature” on people who don’t want it is again a great idea. Just let me turn this off. Pretty please. Then when I swap DACs again, I won’t be forced to listen to music I didn’t ask for or want to listen to. Thanks

+100. The only thing more annoying than software that tells me what I should want to do is software I pay for that tells me what I should want to do.

2 Likes

+101 - exactly, there should be an option to disable this.

2 Likes

@Craig_Winans @Joe_Perry @phantomtides @Mac_Rebant

Truly, I don’t understand the heartache.

Once you turn off Radio in an endpoint it stays off forever, or until you turn it back on, for that endpoint

It isn’t like you change DACs every week or so, or do you?.

The last thing this software, or any software, needs is another idiosyncratic switch.

5 Likes

Yep, Radio is never on for me. I just turned it off. Easy…

1 Like

It already has the idiosyncratic switch. We’re just suggesting that the default be off instead of scaring the bejesus out of unsuspecting music lovers!

1 Like

No, it doesn’t stay off forever. This thread contains at least 3 usage scenarios where the “radio” feature automatically re-enables itself after having been specifically disabled. At least one of them was confirmed as reproducible by Roon staff, over a year ago, yet still hasn’t been fixed.

That is the heartache.

1 Like

You are referring to what happens when you Group Zones. A Grouped Zone with Radio OFF ‘inherits’ the Radio ON status from a Zone that it is Grouped with and after it is Ungrouped it keeps that status.

How is a global switch going to change that scenario since it only occurs when you are dealing with a Zone that has Radio ON? If you don’t want Radio then turn it OFF in all Zones.

In that case, it won’t come ON when you Group Zones.

AFAIK, all other instances of Radio magically coming back ON have turned out to be user error.

So if there was a Top-level ‘Off’ switch for Roon Radio, could that take the selection away from the Queue window.
I want Roon as a Playback & Music Library Manager, to play the songs I want to hear & not those it wants to play me.

3 Likes

Agreed. Unless you have a hundred and one zones, turning it off for each of them is hardly a major inconvenience surely? And if this is all people have to worry about…

I know why I feel strongly about this, and won’t bother repeating it as I’ve already detailed it in this thread. What I can’t figure out is how the proposed change would affect your roon system’s functionality so significantly as to cause you to feel so strongly about it.

I never wanted radio. I never asked for radio. I’m not asking for the feature to be taken away. I just want a way to turn it off for all the current and future endpoints. One place in the GUI, not five different places.

2 Likes

Looking at some of the comments, I’m mystified why so many people are content with this “feature” being foisted upon people who don’t want it and won’t use it. Why do you care if there’s an off switch that you’ll never use? Roon software is constantly evolving and some of the features have been great. But the “radio” thing for me is annoying and presumptuous. Forcing people to hear music they don’t want to listen to (in the case where “radio” chooses something from a streaming service) by default is just bad business in my opinion. I just don’t understand why the pro-radio people think they’d be losing anything by adding a global radio disable switch in the GUI. Seems more like they’re trolling or otherwise just being needlessly contrarian.

2 Likes

Because -

1. I like clean interfaces not cluttered up with a lot of little switches, that no matter what are still going to generate confusion. In the case of a global Radio OFF switch the new confusion will be, “How come I can’t get Radio to work”. You want to see a mess? Try using JShiver.
  2. Opportunity costs and there are more pressing things for Roon to work on.

Try not to get overwrought.:roll_eyes:

I’m not speculating about your underlying emotions here and I’m sure you agree it’s best if you not debase the forum by doing it yourself. Keep it civil please.

I guess you don’t see this as debasing.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/presumptuous

Surely you can appreciate the difference in comments made about a piece of software vs comments directed toward individuals participating in a discussion.

1 Like

Except the comment wasn’t about the software, but ultimately about the designers of the software.

Surely, you can appreciate that.

Ok, so that was my fault. You see, I really don’t know why I feed the trolls. However, to reduce future temptation, I’ve placed your account squarely at the top of my ignore list. Ok, while that is technically true, it is admittedly a stretch… You’re the only person on my ignore list. Hopefully a moderator will come along and see fit to clean up these off-topic posts.