Going insane trying to install ROCK codec

@Rugby Yes, SMB 1.0 is enabled on the Windows machine. But I had to go into Control Panel/Programs/Turn Windows Features On or Off/SMB 1.0 to check the check box necessary for it to work. Then reboot.

It worked! Thanks for the great tip @BlackJack. But I did not need to dip into the Registry. But your last question helped.

Previously I tried to supply blanks for the SMB UID/pwd, and it didn’t’ work. Also “anonymous”. But due to your question, I gave “Anonymous” a shot, and it took me straight to the \Data share. Specifically…

When I looked in Window 10 File Explorer under networks, it did not see my ROCK. But in Command I pinged ROCK’s IP address, went back to File Explorer, and then it saw it as a computer under Network. Then double clicking the ROCK icon brought pulled up the UID/pwd dialogue box that I previously had not been able to get past. This time I entered “Anonymous” for the UID, no password, and it took me straight to the data share!

FWIW I could do all this in Ubuntu, much simpler. But the file that I was putting in the Codes folder was not working. So I was going the Windows route. Anyway…

Using the URL provided in the Roon KB, I downloaded the Tar’d file, and then used 7-Zip in Windows to unpack it. Twice. NB - I had to get 7-Zip from the Windows store. Free. Then it was a simple matter of copying the ffmpeg file (no extension), and pasting it into ROCK’s /Data/Codecs folder. FWIW the file size showed as 76,183 in File Explorer.

And ROCK saw it immediately. Did not even need to be rebooted.

All’s well that ends well! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help folks.

2 Likes