GoNetSpeed: Roon ARC iMac / NetGear AX8 issues

Roon Core Machine

iMac 3.5GHz Retina 5K 32GB RAM w/Drobo Thunderbolt Storage

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NetGear AX 8
Nighthawk Firmware Version V1.0.10.140_1.0.79
TCP Port Forward 55000 … ip static 192.168.1.18

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    GoNetSpeed

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Netgear Nighthawk AX8

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    I operate my iMac with a wireless connection, Auralic runs cleanest with that. I can move and make hard wire with ethernet if needed.

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    no

Connected Audio Devices

Thunderbolt/USB Drobo mini music storage

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Roon ARC was unable to securely access your Roon Core
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“38.107.xxx.xxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Hi @Evan_Autenreith,

On your router UPnP/Natpmp isn’t active and there is no manual portforwarding done.

I would suggest you create a manual port forwarding on you NetGear AX 8.

I found a youtube video which explains how to do a port forwarding on a NetGear Nighthawk, don’t know if it’s the same model, but hope you it helps.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

2 Likes

Hi @Evan_Autenreith,

Did you have a chance to try the steps to enable UPnP that @Maarten_Duits suggested?

The diagnostics you pasted in your original post indicate a timeout when the Core attempts to confirm the external IP of your router by contacting Roon’s servers.

The issue is mostly likely stemming from your service provider, GoNetSpeed, as they appear to have implemented residential-tier carrier-grade network address translation, or CG-NAT. What this means is that the router’s external IP address is being translated by GoNetSpeed before it is reported to ARC, so port forwarding will not configure.

I’ve done a little digging, and it appears other users have successfully enabled port forwarding with GoNetSpeed by contacting them directly to request a routable/public IPv4 address, often in the form of a dedicated static IP address.

You can pass these questions along to GoNetSpeed. I recommend reaching out directly:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a routable public IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.