Good experience with the Hang Loose Convolver

As I get deeper into DSP and DRC (Digital Room Correction), I’ve found a need to compare room correction convolution filters. Hang Loose Convolver by @Mitch_Barnett of Accurate Sound in Vancouver, BC, Canada fits the need perfectly.

You can switch between convolution filters in Roon by setting up presets, but the process doesn’t really lend itself to comparing the filters. There’s no easy way to equalize levels between the filters, and Roon always pauses when you switch filters. The pause tends to reset your auditory memory. Hang Loose switches instantly so your mind has time to detect even subtle changes.

Once I settle on a clear favorite filter, I load it into Roon and play my music.

I highly recommend this software package. I have no connection to Mitch or to Accurate Sound, just a happy new customer.

2 Likes

Great to hear.

HLC appeals to me, too.

I tried a demo of HLC by loading it into Audirvana Studio for Mac but Audirvana doesn’t play very well with my Auralic Altair G1, especially by UPNP, so I didn’t pursue it.

What software are you running HLC in to do the comparisons prior to selecting the desired filter for Roon?

Kind regards,
Peter.

HLC is currently offered with a standalone app that can run VST3 and AU plugins. The functionality comes in either a VST3 or an AU plugin. So you don’t need any separate app to run HLC.

You do, however, need loopback audio drivers to pipe Roon’s output to the standalone app. I use Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback, but HLC includes instructions for the free BlackHole loopback driver on macOS and alternatives on Windows and Linux.

Edit/Add: when you pipe Roon’s output through the loopback driver to the HLC container, remember to turn off any and all convolutions in Roon, so you don’t get a double effect.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information, Kuryan. I appreciate it.

I did not know HLC could be run that way.

I will investigate further.

Kind regards,
Peter.

1 Like