Google Chromecast Dongle for Small Roon Display

So, I fancy a little screen to see album art displayed while I listen to Roon. My idea is to use my Google Chromecast TV dongle for that. It works perfectly when plugged into my TV: I tell Roon to show the display and it does so immediately. However on the small 10 inch screen I bought on amazon, it doesn’t work. The screen does work with other sources though. So I am wondering: Does anyone have an idea why the dongle would work with the TV but not the small screen? More generally, is there some kind of flaw in my plan that I don’t see? Because if it works, I think this would actually be a very inexpensive and no tinkering solution for a display that could be interesting for other users as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Have you tried to connect from the computer to the dongle inserted on the small screen? Do you see the chromecast from phone app (In the Google Home app, select the Chromecast you want to customise, and tap the settings menu in the top right corner.)
I have ordered 3 chromecasts (for tv, projector and a spare one) but they did not arrive yet so I cannot test.
Hope it will work

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I can confirm that I see the dongle in the Google Home app on my iPhone. It says it is streaming from Roon, like it‘s supposed to. Works perfectly on the big TV screen, as I said, but not with the small one. I was hoping someone here had tried a similar setup or had more experience with these dongles than I do.

1 Like

No Chromecast user myself, but what’s the resolution of the small display - maybe that’s the limiting factor?

1 Like

That’s Full HD. Just like the TV. Shouldn’t be the issue thus. Here is the link to the screen: Thinlerain Tragbarer Touchscreen… https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09PTVQQ6L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I do this using a small Lenovo PC monitor + chromecast.
Sounds like an EDID issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! With EDID you mean this, right? Extended Display Identification Data - Wikipedia
So basically the display and the dongle do not happen to talk to one another? Well, then I am going to try another one.

1 Like

And @Marin_Weigel I noticed in another thread that you seem to be an expert in alternative display layouts? Love the one you presented here: Alternative Roon display layouts - #19 by extracampine

Would you mind heading over there and maybe helping me out with an issue I am describing there? Basically, while I have identified the html that needs to be changed, this does not seem to affect the display, so I must be doing something wrong. Thanks in advance!

That’s it. Its a little odd your display doesn’t support HDMI 1.0 standards, and handshake.
Could be a HDMI hot plug detection issue also.

You could give a small PC monitor a go. This is what I do:

1 Like

Looks great! I’ll try with a different display. Thanks again!

Turns out: It was the display! Got a new one, plugged in the Chromecast dongle and it worked perfectly. Great addition to my KEF LS 50 Wireless IIs and the little RooExtend Dial. Thanks again for everyone‘s helpful replies!

1 Like

Looks great. What model did you end up buying?