Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display Working

Just got my back up and running after disabling for the last year or two.
So far second song and it is still going.
Thanks for the information and hopefully it continues to work.
As long as it doesn’t make managing the lights etc more difficult, I will have a play and feedback

Edit: whole album has played so far without issue

This is working on an 8" Lenovo Smart Display. However every minute it has an audible message stating that the “Controls are hidden”. Not sure how to get rid of that. Changing the volume on the device doesn’t change the audible message.

So I played this for hours last night.
At the end of the night I went to turn off the lights and that’s where the fun starts. It’s a bit like turning talk back on on your phone. Males selections noisy and difficult, so I guess I will go back to voice for turning the lights off.

Overall I would declare this a win so thank you @TTGolf

Glad it is working out for everyone. I agree it is a pain trying to interact with Google Hub in the accessibility mode. But it is a worthwhile tradeoff for me. Having the Nest Hub displaying what is playing on top of my audio gear rack is what I wanted. Also, I like that I don’t have to ever interact with it. After playing stop in Roon, Google display will go back to the screen saver after a few minutes.

1 Like

Yes I have complaints from the family today :wink:

I have finally turned on the auto display option that has been off for a couple of years and I am going to call it a win with minor trade offs. Appreciate your finding and sharing this information

Cannot for the life of me get this working, no red outline despite the app saying screen reader being on…

Likely you have an older model of the nest as I had, you can tell if its the case as your device features will have the options
photo frames
display
audio
accessibility
voice calls

the slightly newer nest hub mini that works has the features
sleep sensing
quick gestures
photo frame
display
audio
accessibility
voice calls

for whatever reason the older one even tho it has that screen reader option in the accessibility options never actually turns on. Not sure why but that’s the problem I had.

I don’t know another way to identify the version model number but it seems to be that V1 really old ones just cant do that screen reader mode needed.

My Nest Hub is the older V1 version. And it works fine. My settings do not have sleep sensing and quick gestures (V2 features).

@Simon_Burns if you can still use one finger to interact with your Google Hub, it means you are not in the Screen Reader mode. @Mark_Bamber had a similar issue with one of his hubs. We know if you can turn on Screen Reader mode, Roon Display should work as described in my original post.

one finger swiping still working so screen reader not kicked in. (And yes, mine is the older model).

Am going to have another play…

1 Like

Got in touch with Google support and they recommended reinstalling the Home App on my phone and then a factory reset of the Display.

That done, now when I switch on Screen Reader the device tells me it’s on and so far I’m ten minutes or so into a track and the screen is holding (and it does the little flicker every minute or so). No red box round items when not in Roon though.

Big thanks @TTGolf !

2 Likes

Moved to the Tinkering section.

Noticed that the screen gets stuck at times, for instance if a broadcast happens from another room then the bell image stays on screen forever (doesnt revert back to screensaver)

To correct you can voice command ‘ok google go back’ is the easiest way I have found.

I have not experienced the screen getting stuck. It sounds like it may be an issue with the Google hub. Did you try to reboot the Google Hub to see if it helps?

No luck here. I’ve been tracking a similar issue for a few months, most recently here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/google-hub-wont-keep-now-playing-screen-wont-stop-displaying/

I am able to enable screen reading and see the red box (and Google Hub is reading my display screen), but it’s still displaying the generic “Playing Roon” screen when I stream content to the device.

Your issue is different. I am using Google hub as a display and not an audio endpoint. The hack in my original post is to keep the display not timing out after 60s. I will try to use it as an endpoint to see if I can duplicate the issue.

I tried it last night with my Goog Nest Hub (7"). I was experiencing the same observation you made when using Google Nest Hub as an audio endpoint. It will only display “Playing Roon” with media control (forward, backward and play/stop). Turning on the same Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display does not help. If I turn off Roon Display to Google Nest Hub, the brief display when changing track does not come up. I don’t know if Google Nest Hub can function like a RoPieee with a display. Maybe someone else can also comment.

The good news is that using Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display works. Just make sure the Screen Reader mode is turned on.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming and for the work on ID’ing the display issue.

Hi @rcrawley, I did discover a workaround with my setup. I use Starling Home Hub (https://www.starlinghome.io) as a bridge to enable Nest devices for Apple Homekit. It allows users to use Google Nest Hub as an Airplay endpoint which can also work with Roon. See the attached pic. The drawback is you can’t change tracks (fast forward/rewind) using Google Hub.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointer! Nice find, looks like a cool solution, although not super jazzed (no pun intended based on your streaming example :smile:) about paying money to fix (what I believe is) a Roon bug. But I’ll keep it bookmarked in case another use case pops up.

I think maybe you need to enable the nest hub in settings as well for Roon to know it’s there. Oddly enough I did that and the regular display showed for a fraction of a second, then I got a black and white ‘Roon is playing box”. Don’t want to use it as a speaker though :face_vomiting:. I’m going to check my display file. I fiddled with it to try and customise the display a while back, and I might not have the right file in place. Screen reading is enabled though. No joy yet.