Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display Working

I find that the screen flashes every minute, is there a solution to this?

Thatā€™s bad! Did you find a solution?

Hi, still havenā€™t found a solution to this

I was also having the same issue with my Google Nest Hub (I think 1st gen) frustratingly going into screensaver mode after a minute or so when using it as a chromecast display for Roon. I have to confirm that putting it into screen reader mode did indeed fix the problem. It flickers every once in a while as it tries to go into screensaver mode but I guess screen reader prevents this. Also, it wasnā€™t working the first day I tried it and woke up the next morning to it just automatically working. It has the red/maroon box around the edges so I know itā€™s in accessibility mode. Thanks for the tip!

One thing I wonder if it has been tried is to use a node-red script in order to automatically send a cast request to the roon display every 30 seconds or so in order to ensure it never times out. I am on holidays now but will give it a try.

I already published a dedicated node-red using roon API to control Roon so if it works Iā€™ll publish a new version.

Well it doesnā€™t workā€¦ Well at least. Because Roon also stop streaming. So it is necessary to send 2 commands, the cast and one command to Roon to request to display againā€¦

A simpler solution, which admittedly might not be convenient for everyone, is to use a browser on your Roon Server and cast from that to the Google Nest Hub. I use Opera on my Mac mini M1, which also runs Roon Server, and cast from the browser rather than directly from Roon. No glitches, flickering or red boxes :slight_smile: