Group Confessional: Guilty Pleasures

During the opening ceremonies for the winter Olympics, I watched as the US Olympic Team walked into the stadium to the beat of Gangnam Style. I confess that I got up and danced. I’m prepared to accept my penance. It’ll probably come in the form of Bach’s Mass in B Minor. I encourage the rest of you to share your guilty pleasures. I feel so much better having gotten that off my chest. Enjoy the Olympics everybody.

4 Likes

My guiltiest of pleasures:

Bought it when I was about 14 (after weeks of saving) and it took me years to understand there is not a whole lot to understand. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

love it :joy:

Love “years to understand there is not a whole lot to understand”!

I’ve been known to listen 80s hair metal. There I said it!

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/HX8Rmji.png

1 Like

I link Buck’s Fizz once in the “What are you listening to” thread once because I heard “Land of Make Believe” again on Internet Radio and like the melody and everyone goes crazy ! Then about a month ago my girlfriend solemnly presents me with a vinyl Bucks Fizz compilation “because I know you like them”. Minx.

3 Likes

I don’t understand the language but the lead singer’s facial expressions are clearly guilty pleasures!

Whaha, they are from the eighties. The song translates to ‘you lied to me’.

1 Like

that sounds like the secret to the universe.

3 Likes

Is it bad that I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this and still listen to Lamb about once a year ?
If so, then I feel it is only fair to drag @Rugby into the spotlight. He goes to Lamb re-enactments.

1 Like

Lol. I do love the Lamb. But, I don’t understand why it is a guilty pleasure. A guilty pleasure would be Kiss.

5 Likes

or the Bay City Rollers… or Loverboy…

2 Likes

S A T U R D A Y… NIGHT! Actually, on their first couple of albums, Loverboy had some great songs. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll post a Never Heard but Great Loverboy Songlist… like Take Me To The Top.

2 Likes

Since we’re coming clean in this thread: me too. :slight_smile: Saw the full Lamb by The Musical Box some odd years ago in Amsterdam – great show, including the original image slides… I found out I still know most lyrics by heart.

3 Likes

Yep, seen them a couple times. They do a great job.

2 Likes

mywife would contend that anything pre 1970 was a guilty pleasure

The only saving grace was so she didn’t have to suffer she bought me a pair of Sennheiser HD 800’s

Shame

Mike

2 Likes

I have a collection of 12" vinyl singles from Madonna that span her career. Still love listening to the 12" extended version of Open Your Heart. I will play that one a half a dozen times in a row. I am making a mix tape of my favorites with my Nak.

2 Likes

I will try to not drone on for too long. First off, more comfortable with Beethoven than Pop Music but I have my moments. First off, anything by the James Gang-case in point-STOP! LIVE. Guaranteed to clear out the air pockets in the speakers. Next-the one woman I would leave my wife for-Sade. Favorite cut-Cherish the Day Live! particularly when she is raised in the air on the platform. I will stop there. Next-2Pac not all of his stuff but definitely Troublesome96. Whenever I add a new piece of equipment, this is the cut I use to check out the system. Also Picture me rollin’ for an interesting take on life-laugh all the way through it. My wife refuses to listen so I can crank up the sound only when I am alone in the house. If you ever met me, you would never believe I listen to the likes of 2Pac. Still very satisfying. Finally, for a real, real guilty pleasure-Bishop Briggs. So who the heck is Bishop Briggs? I watch Suits, first for the drama and second for the music. Have heard all of the cuts, many more than once. As others have said, I hope they pay the guy who puts together the soundtrack a lot of money because he does an amazing job. Now back to Bishop Briggs. First heard her on suits season 7 episode 2 final song-Cold War Kids-So Tied Up. It was good so I looked it up on Youtube where the real version resided. I was overwhelmed to put it mildly. She has one heck of a voice. I have researched her extensively and heard all of her stuff both live and studio. She has a small but dedicated following now including me who wait ‘patiently’ for her next release. She has even invited me(mailing list) to her next tour. I won’t go although I would like to but they would kick me out for not passing the age test-too old. She is very strange but I guess all musicians are. I did get the opportunity to meet Sarah Chang(classical violinist) once(even got her autograph) so I do admire from afar. There are other guilty pleasures but you only have so much space and these 4 popped into my head almost immediately. Happy listening and I am still waiting for a serious upgrade to the Classical section of Roon.

3 Likes

I hope your wife doesn’t see this post!:smile: