Guest artist is missing from track metadata. Is there any way I could add it?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

The album is After Forever’s Prison of Desire
This is from Roon:

And this is from Discogs:

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No edits in Roon.

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes, it is identified correctly.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

It’s a local file.

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

As you can see, the Discogs page has on the last track “Guest, Soprano Vocals – Sharon Den Adel” but Roon doesn’t include this info.
Is there any way that I could include this info to Roon?
Or should I edit this info to a specific info provider?

For me, Roon shows Sharon den Adel as Guest Artist under track credits for “Beyond Me”. I have the same album version as you [CD TM-023], and that’s the one Roon is matching to.

Where else where you expecting to see den Adel’s name appear?

Thank you very much for your answer.

I would expect something like this:

Shouldn’t she be a performer on this song?

It dawned on me that this is what you wanted, and I came back here to show you how to do that and saw your new message.

If you look at the credits on “Fairytale”, Fafouti is getting Featured Artist credit, whereas den Adel was credited as a Guest Artist, Vocalist, and Soprano on “Beyond Me”.

The easiest thing to do is edit “Beyond Me” in Roon to add den Adel as a Featured Artist, and it’ll look like this:

To do that, click on the 3-dot icon to the right of the track, then Edit>Edit Track>Credits>Edit Credits. Then in the Additional credits column select the blue “+ Add credit” at the bottom, search for den Adel, and choose Featured Artist. Voilà!

Thanks. This works, but just for myself.
Since Fafouti is taking the Featured Artist credit, shouldn’t den Adel get that, too, automatically?
It feels like a big inconsistency.
Am I wrong?
Those 2 artists are performing on each song and both of them should be getting the Featured Artist credit.

So, is there a way to change that centrally so that it is fixed for everyone and not just for me?

It dawned on me that this is what you wanted

Why is that? Is it something really weird? I am really open to different ideas.

@Dimtiris_Stathis, what I was trying to say is I finally realized that what you wanted was for den Adel to appear in the track listing for the album, which was frankly dumb on my part to have not picked up on initially. :man_facepalming: Nothing weird with that at all! That’s what I’d want as well actually.

And from your original post:

Whether or not anything needs “fixing” becomes a matter for debate I’m afraid. I don’t believe any official guidelines exist on how artists are tagged for credit.

I believe Roon’s main source of artist credits is MusicBrainz, and here’s what appears there for “Beyond Me”, as well as the album:

Those credits appear to match up exactly with what’s showing in Roon. Although I’ve never done it myself, I believe you can create an account on MB and modify the credits yourself if you want. Whether or not edits are subject to some review/approval process I can’t say.

Edit: But realize that by doing that you may trigger someone else to be upset because they don’t want to see den Adel appearing in the track listing. :wink: So it becomes like trying to edit Wikipedia pages.

Thanks for all this.
I have an account at MusicBrainz and I have edited the release. But I am not really sure if the Roon database is from there.
I believe it adds up a lot of databases in order to come up with the final one. (See here for more details: Access to the full Database - #7 by anon47919701 )

So, I will do the edit locally, but I would really like the option to correct if something is wrong in order to transfer it to the entire community.

So, maybe that could be a question of a different thread, but is it possible to do so?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.