GUI needs attention for large box sets

@danny perhaps you could comment here? I know that other users as well as myself are keen to hear if there are any plans to improve things in terms of box set handling. Thanks!

3 Likes

Any activity on box sets from roon? Many of thee box set threads seem to go back years but nothing changes.

2 Likes

The Roon team works extremely hard, and has to balance many pressures (fixes and requests alike). So let’s show patience. And that’s coming from someone with a relatively huge number of box sets…

1 Like

Hi @Ludwig .

Are you seeing any practical limits on the sizes of box sets? Maybe past 100 or so? Or even roon crashing with very large box sets? I don’t mean the general unusability, just the basics of practical GUI response and performance. I had tried with a few box sets up to about 60D’s and although pretty much unusable I hadn’t noticed any basic response/performance issues.

I finally got around to the Decca/DG complete Mozart (200CD). Apart from an unusable screen of [Disc 1] . . . [Disc 200], I found I couldn’t even physically navigate at all because of such slow response when clicking on the individual disk links. It also crashed roon a couple of times when I attempted to groom the metadata. The box naturally splits into five “vols” of 20 to 50 disks each, so I split it up and now these problems seem to have gone away.

I don’t find roon’s box set handling usable beyond about 10/12 CD’s and often unmerge box sets but I still like to upload and groom the data if necessary because the individual performances then usefully show up in other much more usable composition or artist screens. I really like the way roon does that as otherwise in most of my box sets, beyond a few favorite performances, I often don’t really know what is on them.

Most f the really Mega sets split logically . I am finding it helps. Roon certainly doesn’t like Mozart 250 on my system

Mike

I have not found an actual limit. My largest box is 114 CDs (Brendel).

Since the performance of boxes was optimised some months ago, I find them fast enough.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bug: Roon misidentifies discs 100-126 in a box set a disc 1

Has anyone from Roon weighed in on these box set issues? There are many threads asking for a solution but I haven’t seen any indication that there is anything on the roadmap.

Just to provide yet another example of what a supreme pain it is dealing with this issue, compare how Roon deals with Mozart 225 with how it looks in JRiver:

4 Likes

This is still a very big issue, I have worked around it by getting from various sources a listing by CD . I save this as a pdf so at least I can see which CD no relates to which content,

In JRiver I use 3 custom tags , BoxSet, DiscName and DiscVolume to allow slicker navigation and identification of each CD’s content

I can even define an album name and artwork for each CD in a box

Just another example of poor classical cover

Most of the time now I revert to JRiver for classical rather than punish myself

Unless Roon does big things to enhance the experience for classical libraries I can’t see myself renewing at the end of my year starter

Sad but very frustrating

Mike

PS I have Mozart 255 in the library so the hyperlink view goes up to 200, just to add to the clutter

1 Like

There seems to be a conspicuous absence of developer input into this thread, despite the issue having been raised by many and on repeated occasions. Perhaps a comment from the devs may be helpful at least to acknowledge the issue, or even to provide a little information regarding the Roon team’s thoughts on the matter?

3 Likes

Things seem to go quieter in the weeks/days preceding a significant release. Maybe we’re in for a treat!

There are several threads about classical navigation, all silent from Roon’s end

It’s a big elephant to bite off with only a few dissenters I think it’s low priority

How do we up the ante ?

We can only hope, and use alternative methods until they bite

Mike

3 Likes

In windows media player ( yes not comparable to roon I know), in artist view all albums form that artist is listed with tracks on one side, maybe box set view should consider such an approach

We definitely need a sub cover view for large box sets.
I have John Martyn’s Island 17-CD Box set, which is really just a collection of remastered albums. The default Roon Album view was just awful, showing the just the box set cover and the Disc 01 | Disk 02 | Disk 03 | … etc. This is not what I want to see. I gave up and have listed them as separate albums. What I want to see is the box set cover then be able to click on that and have a album cover view of the albums contained within the box set.

I’d be interested to hear however other users deal with box sets like this and whether the elves at Roon have any plans to improve box set views?

There is much commentary on the subject if you dig back in the forum

Splitting off individual discs can work but more often doesn’t , many have fillers on the discs ,ie original disc plus bonus stuff.

Often the only chance of Roon’s ID ing a box is if it’s left alone

Box sets are a major shortfall in Roon , we have hoping for action for quite a while

Me too, but the wife disagrees :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

cough.
/10 char

2 Likes

Boxed sets are a pain that’s for sure. I’m new to Roon, but it’s already an issue for me. And the issue has been on going for over three years?

Hmmmmmmm.

Ongoing and completely unaddressed.

The architectural changes to the Roon Data Model must be quite complex or I am sure this would have been addressed by now

Seems to me lack of progress could be this structural modelling or simply the “votes” for improvements that reach a greater audience or dare I even suggest attracts more NEW Roon users (hence subs).

I have commented before that I have got around the issue by running two systems in parallel. JRiver allows for Custom Tags and Custom views which makes Box Sets a breeze. Since I need DLNA for other reasons keeping 2 servers up makes sense to me. Inevitably running one system must be the prime objective as dual maintenance is never a good thing.

I presume Roon as ever would not release a half way house solution but to wait until the perfect solution has been developed. For me even being able to add a “Disc Title” rather than the elusive Disc 101 would go part way , I have these disc names in custom tags already.

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect is the silence on any progress from the Roon team , I am not asking for a date of release just a hint that at least its being looked at …

3 Likes