H390 Distortion

Hi @amk221,

Thanks for the video. Have you heard anything back from Hegel yet?

Yeah, I didnā€™t want to post the whole thing, but the gist:

this is an Airplay artifact as there is no clock synchronisation in Airplay

ā€¦

The Roon implementation in H390 will give you a much better experience and the sound quality will be maintained in its original format.

:confused:

Thanks for the info @amk221, it seems like you have your answer in this case.

Since Hegel uses a custom Airplay implementation and the clock sync is causing the artifacts, it might be best to wait until they complete Roon Ready certification and then give it another go.

Roon Ready should outperform Airplay in general as well, so it would be a worthwhile wait. In the meantime if you wish to use a Roon Bridge device such as a Rasberry Pi/microRendu/Allo USBridge to play to the Hegel via USB for the time being, that could be a possible workaround.

@amk221 - are you able to install the Roon Core on another machine? I have an H190 (which I believe has the same Airplay implementation as the H390) and Airplay from Roon, or anywhere else for that matter, is completely distortion free - in fact it sounds surprisingly good.

@noris Quite disappointing I suppose - how is worse ā€œbetterā€ :joy:
But am sitting tight for Roon Ready.

@Rockhound Thanks. As mentioned above, Iā€™ve used a Macbook Pro and a NUC as a core. Both yield the same thing.

Or does your dealer have a demo unit that you could try out in your setup to rule out the problem being due to a fault in your H390? Clutching at straws here!

@Rockhound Iā€™m a bit remote for a dealer to do that unfortunately.

Sorry to hear youā€™re still having this issue. As I mentioned I have a similar setup (minus the UniFi USG), and my distortion issue was a lot more noticeable than the video you shared (mine was wire related though). Have you tried removing that USG from the equation, perhaps the IDS they do is affecting Airplay.

And sorry I donā€™t mean to sound like Iā€™m trying to hijack the thread but it seems that this issue will be addressed by the Roon ready update from Hegel, did they by chance share an ETA for that?

@Luis_Salazar no problem.

The router has been removed from the equation - the distortion is present with Ethernet (from any source) directly into the Hegel. (no other external factors at play)

P.S. If you use headphones on the video, the distortion is very, very clear.

Hi, simple question, because I read you have tried from different sources (itunes etc.). But is it always from your mac? Do you still have parasites if you airplay itunes from your iphone??
Oh and I ve just downloaded the latest upgrade on my H390, at last! Thought it would be roon ready. Roon on my iphone could not find any core on the H390ā€¦ Did not find any communication on this update on Hegel web site nor on roonā€™sā€¦ what is this update? Is it making the thing roon ready?
Last point : why using airplay or usb to listen to music on such an amp??? Just stream it on through ethernet cable in order to bypass as many clocks and ground signals as you can!

@laurent31 It was source independent. But protocol dependant.

FWIW, I sold the hegel. It was a wonderful bit of kit, but for the life of me I couldnā€™t get to bottom of the crackling.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.