HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Not sure if Roon and/or Nucleus+ had anything to do with it, but I had a similar issue with part of test tone not playing. In my case, it was the back end of the pattern. Ended up putting HAF test tones on an external hard drive and used that as my playback source for tones. I then emailed my measurements to Thierry as an attachment. As simple & straightforward as Thierry’s process is, the task was beyond my skill set at first. However, thanks to his patience & guidance I was able to figure things out. I prefer to use the various iterations of crosstalk (I provided head measurements) because the wider, deeper, taller soundstage appeals to me. Most significantly, the bass from the REL sub sounds faster, tighter & more controlled. Any boominess has vanished. Instrument location on stage is more orderly. Each one clearly has its place. Vocals the same. In general, more air & space between everything. If you prefer vocals more out front, then you may want to try HAF w/out xtalk. The soundstage will tighten up with vocals out front & center. In my experience, these improvements are NOT subtle!

2 Likes

That sounds really interesting! What measurement do you need? Intending to get a UMIK-2 and will then download REW or should I do it with your tool?

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your interest ! It is easier for me if you use my tool but you can send me a mdat file as well (in that case I will need you mic calibration file and and some comments for each measurements to identify which speaker is measured and at which position)

1 Like

Great! Is it better to use UMIK-1 or UMIK-2 for measurement? Is there also a how to guide for how to use your tool for the measurement? Sorry this is my first approach with room acoustics :slight_smile:

IMHO UMIK-1 is good enough for room acoustics measurements.

You can find a PDF guide in the tool folder here

I always recommend using a proper mic stand and pointing the mic to the ceiling (as you can move it easily w/o taking care of its orientation)
For the listening position, it is important to place the mic at the correct place (tip of the mic at ears level) and usually at equal distance of both loudspeakers. For the other positions you can choose them randomly around the listening position, making sure you change the altitude as well. The idea is to cover a sufficient volume to account for some variability in the listener head position

3 Likes

@Home_Audio_Fidelity I finally got round to taking some new readings to get my filters updated to my new speakers. Looking forward to the results.

1 Like

Dropping by to share that i’m another happy customer of @Home_Audio_Fidelity services. Also for those who feel adventurous i would highly recommend his Room Shaper plugin as well. Unfortunately it doesn’t integrate natively in Roon and might require some fiddling around, but it’s worth the hassle.

Hi @Lucho

Thanks for your reminder about Room Shaper plugin. I have started a page on my website here to give some directions on how plugins can be used in combination with Roon. Why ? I have some new things coming (upgrade of Soundstage Shaper) and I have a prototype for hearing loss compensation (reduced sensitivity linked to age or any other disease) Any volunteer for testing is welcome !

3 Likes

Any chance the Roon integration will become more easy - seemless?

New filters recieved within a few hours such a great service.

Markus,

After Thierry finishes making your filters, he sends them to you and you move them over to Roon… .

Must take a whole 5 minutes. The real work is measuring your current system Room Acoustics with a Microphone and then sending them to HAF for the filter construction.

2 Likes

@Home_Audio_Fidelity thank you for my new filters. What a difference they make. Very happy customer. Now thinking of adding crosstalk.

5 Likes

@Home_Audio_Fidelity Thierry as soon as my room is done (5 months or so) I’ll update my filters. Long time user of your filters and love them. Encouraged again to update my filters by CrystalGipsy

1 Like

I have posted news about my plugins update here
Despite the complexity of using them with Roon, it can tell you it is worth making a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does this work with Multichannel (5.1)?

Yes, I can generate correction filters for multi channels systems.
Room Shaper plugin is currently stereo only.

Hi all,

I have been doing some experiments with high slope anti aliasing filters that generate time ringing at high frequencies (close to max frequency = half of sampling rate)
I tend to hear some differences but this is not what I expected… so I’d like to ask the community if there are some volunteers to make a comparison: a typical filter for 44.1 kHz files is available here

Thanks in advance,
Thierry

1 Like

I tried to install HAF measurement tool, but it won’t install (Windows 10)

Hello Johan, it can come from antivirus or missing dll : what kind of error message do you get ?

Missing dll… downloaded the missing dll, but don’t know what to do with it.