HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

You need to copy it to the C:\Windows\System32 folder

Okay, thanks…

Still doesn’t work.

You probably have a mix of 32 & 64 bits dlls.
It is safer to re-install the visual C++ components following this link and choosing x64
If not working you can try to launch the measurement tool in administrator mode

Okay I will try it this weekend… I let you know if it works. Thanks.

Hopping on to submit my second ever comment in these forums to add praise to the fantastic work performed by Thierry with HAF. Not only are the filters excellent but they are easily the best 200 or so dollars I have ever spent in audio. The cross talk filters in particular have been transformative for my room and setup. Amazing customer service from Thierry as well, super responsive and helpful.

4 Likes

Luis,

I could not agree more!!! Thierry is “da Man” for getting room acoustics out of the way to let you enjoy all the glory your system makes! My system sounds the best it ever has since installation of Thierry’s convolutions! Sounds clean well into the 90’s db!

3 Likes

Imagine my disbelief when Thierry also helped identify that my speakers where out of phase with each other. I’ve had my current setup for a little under a year and I was always disatisfied with the loose and wobbly bass response I experienced, it never occurred to me I had wired my speakers incorrectly. The man is a godsend.

2 Likes

To those of you that have made your measurements with a Dayton USB mic: Did you orient the microphone horizontally or vertically (90 degrees)?
Thanks!

Edit for clarity in the future:
Dayton offers only one calibration file for their UMM-6 and it does not specify for which orientation it is intended. Thus my question. :slight_smile:

90 degrees along with the corresponding calibration files as recommended by Thierry

Following up should this question arise in the future. I spoke with Dayton Audio and they advised me that no separate 90-degree calibration file is needed for their UMM-6.

I’ve sent my measurements to Thierry so I guess I’ll learn if this works out in the near future.

If you have calibration file for 0 degrees but not for 90 degrees, I would definitely use 0 degrees and point mic towards speakers.

1 Like

I took your advice and re-measured horizontally. The visualizer seems to be more coherent than yesterday’s 90-degree measurements. Thanks for chiming in. :+1:

1 Like

I come back to the experiment I made on anti aliasing filters

has someone made the test and found some difference ?

And I have one other request for volunteers…
It is well known that box type loudspeakers (closed or vented) are acting as high pass filter with phase shifts in the transition region. This has a detrimental effect on rhythm perception and leads to the “boxy sound”. As there are some debate about the audibility of this issue, I have applied the response of vented loudspeaker (collected with measurements) to a test track and added phase correction to reduce the phase shift:
Vented loudspeaker
Vented loudspeaker with correction

If you listen to the 2 tracks with headphones and focus on the drums & bass line, you can check if you are sensitive or not to this phase shift.

As it is not possible to isolate loudspeaker and room in the low frequency range when performing measurements at listening position, my plan is to propose a specific correction for box type loudspeakers that can later be combined with “room correction”. If you are interested in making a test on your loudspeakers, you can contact me by email (info@homeaudiofidelity.com)

Thanks !

5 Likes

Another :+1: for Thierry and Home Audio Fidelity! After a number of measurements and filters went backwards and forward we finally got to a very good solution to my weird room and speaker issues!

My LH speaker fires into an open plan kitchen behind and to the left of my listening position, the RH speaker directly into a wall a metre or so behind me. So although I have played with REW and basic PEQ filters in Roon for months I could never solve the weird balance issue. I got close, with a Roon speaker position edit that added a little delay and a balance adjustment… but it was still susceptible to slightest head movement and wobbling imagery! Plus my speaker drivers have a fast off axis treble rolloff beyond 3k combined with a lift in the presence region - 700-2.5K - what fun! (never would have known that rolloff was unusual if Thierry hadn’t commented!)

So the HAF convolution filters deal with both the timing issues and reflections, plus frequency SPL (although of course Thierry can’t be your ears so that’s what took a bit of back and fro adjustment). The result in my system was better than I could ever get it with PEQ, because some of the frequency loudness was obviously reflections not just speaker design. Plus imaging is now much tighter locked down, and tonality (timbre?) improved quite a bit, as my speaker position adjustment used to knock that right out.

So all told a very worthwhile investment even if you are a dab hand with REW and Roon PEQ, especially as an update to your system costs a minimal fee to implement! In fact I might have an update in the pipeline already - sorry Thierry!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Good to hear. Regarding adjustment once you receive the convolution filter, is the only way to adjust it to ask for another one?

Yep… but what I have been doing is to listen to the HAF filter for some while, then listen to my own previous attempts, then no EQ at all for a while. I soon came up with where I thought a little tailoring was required to Thierry’s convolution to get the frequency EQ spot on (nothing to do with phase or timing or anything, just the frequency response).

I then measured my speakers again with the HAF filter in place, just basic Pink Noise RTA with REW, and noted if the results agreed with where I thought the frequency response was still a bit out for my tastes. Then I tweaked in REW a little to arrive at a set of PEQ numbers. I kept it very simple, just a couple of bands for the areas I specifically wanted adjusted - such as say bass at 48Hz and treble at 1800hz.

I then added a PEQ filter adjustment to the DSP settings page (where the HAF convolution filter was implemented). I could then switch them on and off whilst listening to see if I had messed things up or achieved what I desired!

Using that technique saves a lot of back and forth as I could give Thierry a snapshot of my adjustments (goodness knows what he thought of them!) and he could then do his much cleverer stuff to achieve similar effects… works a treat! Of course you could just try and describe the issue - which I did first time - but saying the bass is a bit lumpy might or might not convey to Thierry what you are after! (it seemed to actually, near enough! :blush: )

5 Likes

I for one has been trying to get a hang on the REW, tried countless time of own measurement and trying very best to adjust EQ based on house curve, I could have reach to a point where differences are felt, sometimes good sometimes bad, to a point I decided to roll back all without any PEQ applied in Roon.

I found HAF and decided why not give someone like Thierry a tried, I went ahead with some leap of faith, and not being a great A/B listener and witbout one modified track I really couldn’t tell if all are well, but I took the leap of faith solely based on how responsive and patience Thierry was throughout my engagement with him.

I got the filter on Saturday, had a listen for almost 45 minutes switching back and forth on variety of tracks and I think I like it, I couldn’t really nail down to exactly what I like, but music seems to have more ease of flow, some instrument are very subtlely more pronounce, and on some recording one of my observation is the presentation of singer, instruments, background are represented in a way I liked it more, to be honest without really knowing how it was recorded and without a baseline it’s tough, but I let my emotion leads the path…I have not moved on to the crosstalk filter yet but I wanted to give me some times (days) to go through and can provide a better feedback to Thierry for fine tune, the whole of Sunday is my daddy day so didn’t have much time at all, will see how it goes into the weekdays night.

It’s very early but the overall feels are definitely positive, and Thierry is sort of a fresh breath of air, he never once push u to get into the more expensive services, more so he actually asked me to start with something cheaper so I get a hang of it, instructions were easy to follow, I had some measurement issues using his software but later nailed down to it was my laptop, after a switch to a Windows laptop from Mac, the measurement went thru without a hiccup

All in all, very very positive experiences, I am confident with some extra times into the listening, likely I can reach to a step where my countless night using REW to DIY the tuning myself can’t, I am happy now but could be a lot happier down the path after I put some more times into it.

@Home_Audio_Fidelity thanks, I just would like to share it was utmost pleasure dealing with you

8 Likes

I recommend trying one set of filters for a few days, then switch filters (or turn off), you will probably hear more clearly the differences that way.

2 Likes