HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

HAF fans: please get involved in helping Thierry with the new type of -filter!

3 Likes

Can Thierry develop filters for multichannel active systems?

Yes I can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, can you use measurements from audiolense?

Yes, you need to export each measurement to PCM format using the “Measurement” “Export measurement” function

1 Like

I made some changes to my living room recently. Overall this change improved the acoustic slightly I think. Today I recieved the new filters from Thierry that were made based on new measurements. I will isten a bit more the next couple of days but I am already sure the filters means an improved in sound quality. Thierry was even so kind to sent me the filters before I made the payment (€ 39)!!

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I made some REW measurements using the HAF filters in Roon and without the filters. I used RTA in REW and the sweep file from the Generator.

I didn’t know what to expect but the measurement with the X talk filter applied looked quit surprising to me. But I am far from an expert in REW :upside_down_face:

This is what the left measurements looked like

Right measurement

Hi @Faxe

Thanks for your feedback on my service !
There must be something wrong with your REW measurements: the huge gain in the upper range is not consistent.
Note that measuring impact of crosstalk reduction requires a dummy head or in ears binaural microphones…

Thanks to Thierry again. He provided new filters for my 3 way active speakers using an okto 8 dac. Sounds amazing in Roon and HQP.

1 Like

Thierry,

Can you please detail your “dummy head” set up? I have a foam head that I was going to try that with and did not know if it required two mics, of what quality and how is this performed?

Any details to do this would only add to your truly wonderful convolutions filters that have made such immense improvements to my system!!

Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

I mentioned the dummy head setup as a reliable way to measure the impact of crosstalk reduction.

If you’d like to better adapt crosstalk reduction to your morphology, you’ll have to measure your own HRTF (head related transfer functions) using binaural mics = one small mic placed at each ear entrance. I have a dedicated measurement tool to record both mics simultaneously and derive HRTF.

Hello Thierry,

How do I go about getting a tool like you mention? Or maybe those binaural mics?

Getting read to take measurements. I have a few questions.

1. Does the HAF measure Left and right automatically?
  2. I have a sub. Would measurements with and without sub be of use?
  3. The sub has crossover setting off,80,120. I have it set at 80 is that optimal for a music only system?
    Thanks.

You can find binaural mics & USB audio interfaces at different suppliers like this one

My measurement tool is available here

Hi Ian,

Yes the tool will measure left & right automatically.
You just need to perform measurements with your sub active and if your main speakers have a cut off frequency below 80Hz, I would choose the lowest crossover setting so 80Hz

Looking forward to receive your measurements !

Thanks so much for the info Thierry! I really appreciate it! Your help seems to be never ending and for that I really appreciate all you share with us Music heads.

80Hz is what my Stereo Woofer’s adjustments are set to… and with your help and convolution filters to make them sound as one enclosure on each channel!

Hopefully I can ad the mics to my foam head model and send you some new measurements for further improvements.

Cheers!

I want to add my enthusiastic praise for Thierry’s great work. He is super responsive through email, explains everything so clearly, and is truly committed to working with you to achieve an incredible result. It’s pretty amazing what his filters can do to address “bad room” problems, giving you a nearfield experience, even in suboptimal conditions.

3 Likes

Check out my new blog page… New stuff to be tested !

Great news, Thierry. Does this mean you can make these new filters for existing users, of whom you already have the measurements they made?

Yes I can update filters for existing users with the usual discount

1 Like