HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Nice to know something new that can be tried, I’ve just made some adjustment (lots of reposition and swapped out an amplifier), just sent you a new measurement for a rework, would love to see if i can too explore this new feature/function of the phantom channel.

Have a good vacation, no rush as I received an auto-reply of you’re on a vacation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, all. I have a Streamer/DAC which plays native DSD up to DSD512. However, with my HAF filter enabled, I can only play DSD64 files. Anything above won’t play normally. My roon server is Antipodes S40…more than enough power. Convolution filter disabled…playback is normal. Just curious if anyone has had this issue.

I saw some postings above wrt DSD upsampling through roon…not sure if there is a similar posting on nativeDSD files.

1 Like

I want to echo the awesome experience with Thierry on his great service.
I was set on getting MiniDsp SHD Studio for my 2-Channel DRC but was not convinced. I stumbled upon HAF filters service while researching DRC solution. I’m so glad I found it.
Thanks all for posting great info on the thread.

6 Likes

Another happy customers. I ordered the Mod & Xtalk filters with Thierry 3 months ago. Very smooth process and the demo tracks he creates give a good idea what the results will be once the filters are activated in Roon. His service is also great in the sense he’s open to correct the filters on request before delivering the final version.

The result sounds really good. I had tried Dirac (to much Bass reduction) and DIY with REW (not really great, hard to achieve a well balanced filter) and I like the result Thierry produces way better.

Now I changed my speakers and I’ll order a new set.

Highly recommend HAF.

5 Likes

Mr Thierry really knows his stuff. One of the benefits is being able to turn the Convolutions on or off with one simple switch in Roon to hear the difference immediately!

3 Likes

Ditto all the above. I have been using his service for over five years now. I am in the military and move around a lot so every time I get to a new duty station or get new equipment it’s time to get new filters. He has a fantastic discount for repeat customers as well! I just used his service again a month ago when I finally got around to getting filters for my Home Theater set up downstairs. I had acquired a set of golden ear Triton reference ones from Vincent on the forum but hadn’t gotten around to getting Filters from Thierry/HAF. Instead I’d been using the Anthem ARC that’s built into my home theater receiver and using separate ARC measurements for two channel and multi-channel. It was night and day when I installed his two-channel Roon-only fliters. They spanked the Anthem ARC filters hands-down. My non-audiophile significant other was instantly blown away by the change as well. I can’t believe I had waited so long for the downstairs thinking the anthem was good enough as I’ve been using the his filters upstairs with my KEFs…both set ups greatly improved by the HAF filters…in my book the easiest, Economical way to improve ur system and one that u can hear and toggle on/off compare to your receiver’s room correction etc.
doug

4 Likes

I am yet another HAF fan going back to 2018, with multiple iterations at work in both my living room and home theater systems. But when I try to play 5.1 or 7.1 surround material through a miniDSP USB-to-SPDIF converter with convolution enabled, the center channel disappears. Disable HAF filters and all channels return. ???

Hi Brad,

Thanks for supporting my service !
You need specific filters configuration files to play multi channels tracks as the “standard” ones are only for stereo. You can email me to precise your use case and I will generate the required files.

Kind regards,
Thierry

1 Like

Hi Thierry,
A quick question. I am replacing current power amp with a pair of mono blocks, the rest of the system remaining the same (e.g. Roon core, DAC, preamp, speakers, sub, etc). Do I need to re-calibrate and get a new filter?
Thanks!

Sean

1 Like

Hi Sean,
I don’t have a definitive answer to your question : the best is to perform measurements for comparison. I already experienced both scenario : no measurable impact (at least with acoustic measurement) or significant impact in the low end…

Best,
Thierry

1 Like

Thanks Thierry.
I also have changed to different speakers lately so I do need new filters. I just sent new measurements to you via email.

Best,

Sean

Very pleased user after about one month. Have the “excellence “ package. Had a friend over and after switching both filters in / out he immediately commented that the cross talk cancellation got rid of the “noise” that he detected. Other attributes such as image solidity and stability, along with more air. I had Thierry supply me with two minor filter modifications which he did promptly. May host another CAS / Chicago Audio Society meeting to demonstrate this game changing software!

4 Likes

Hi all,
I am happy to introduce a new optional feature for my filters : I call it “relief” and the purpose is to bring some more relief and smoothness for flat or harsh sounding tracks/systems. This is done w/o changing the tonal balance and using some principles of analog reproduction. Instead of changing your DAC you can try this option to bring more life to your system. As the feedback from beta testers is positive, I can now offer it as an option. Don’t hesitate to contact me for a demo (filters can only be embedded with room correction that can be very minimal if needed)

5 Likes

Hi Thierry, I enjoyed the update of your filters (without “relief” for now) since my room and hardware changed significantly last months (speakers, amplifier, DAC, …).
The result is very good, the room correction seems perfect. I believe I made better measurements than the first time. The depth of the soundstage is unbelievable and far better than the depth I have without the filters.
Now I learn here that you released the “relief” option, something I would be interested to test on my system. Does it make sense even for system not being especially harsh nor flat sounding ?
Congrat for your work.
Pat

Just some information for those who end up here like I did about clipping. I got filters from my speakers manufacturer, and the song Roon clipped the most on is Zero by the yeah yeah yeahs. Got to go from -3 to -8 to stop the clipping.

1 Like

It was a pleasure working with Thierry. The filters bring the best out in your system. You get phase alignment, room correction and a sculpted sound in each filter. The result for me was excellent clarity, imaging, balance and detail. I had used Audyssey correction in the past but this is on a totally different level. The soundstage is so large and instrument separation so well defined.
The X Talk filter he made me is stunning and an enveloping 3D experience with the right recording.
Thierry is great to work with and he takes the time to deliver every detail from your feedback. Highly recommend. It has made more positive change than any other component in my system.

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said about Thierry and his excellent product.

2 Likes

There’s space for 9 measurements, if I’m in a nearfield desktop set up with a sub under the desk, should I do more than a single measurement with the mic at ear level where the center of my head is normally? Should I take measurements from other areas of the room (small office)

Thanks

EDIT: Another question for anyone that’s sent Thierry files for a KEF wireless system (LSX II, LS50WI II, LS60W etc.) Did you leave everything on the KEF connect app as default or did you EQ it in the app to the best of your ability and then measure?

I left my LS50 W2’s with the app settings intact (though they are minimal), but did keep my Rel subs at their rec home theatre room correction settings then dialed back in the bass once I received my 1st filters. I typically get his 1st blush then have him add a bit house curve to gently boost low end and compare. I still use his curves for my Kef’s but have gone back to no correction for the goldenear triton 1R in man cave as those just sound great period. But have used his curves in multiple houses with diff speakers for over 8 yrs and getting his curves is always one of the key final steps when I set up my systems. Highly recommended!
D

2 Likes

Hi @Shawn_Oliver , yes you need to perform more than single measurement to proper assess the phase response of your speakers/room. As you have a single listening position, you just need to move the mic randomly in all directions around it, to cover a sphere of about 20 cm radius. Looking forward to receiving your measurements,
Thierry

1 Like