HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Congrats !

Nicely said ! This happens when there is a big step in quality and musicality in a setup.

Yeah, I never managed to have their drivers work properly on my latest Windows 10 Nuc.

Yes that’s the right way. Another option is to run measurements further right and left, I did that because I am usually not alone to listen music or watch movies (I use the HAF filters for videos too in Jriver).

When I look in REW to the HAF filters it looks like that

This looks strange and I don’t know if I did something wrong. I unzipped the HAF filter and I then imported the .wav file in REW.

That’s the convolution filter (which is an impulse I think), it looks something like that for me as well. Is your speaker driver crossover at 2khz?

1 Like

Crossover is at 1500 Hz

Why is left and right so different?

Not sure, I know to little about the internal workings of convolution/impulse results to interpret them. I know you can’t look at them like a normal frequency amplitude correction (I doubt he boosted your 2khz with 80 dB :slight_smile: )

It sounds fantastic, no doubt about that… I was just curious

1 Like

Yeah whatever magic Thierry is doing is fantastic. I need to post more on my results.

All looks good, but here you only visualise 2 filters out of the 4.
The red curve is room/speakers correction of left channel
The green curve is reverb correction : using data of right channel, “fuzzed” with some random phase, amplitude correction to match “natural” reverberation, added to left channel
If you want to see the room/speaker correction of the right channel, upload the second channel of the HAF_44_HR.wav file.
It is easier to see the correction in logarithmic scale (here it’s linear and hard to read), start at 20Hz, vertical axis 100-120dB.

1 Like

I found this article interesting http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013127speaker-off-axis-response-psychoacoustic-and-subjective-importance/

Both on and off axis response must be similar in shape. If this is true then this means the early reflected and late reflected sound as heard in room will be similar in spectral balance to the direct sound.
Smoothness of the on and off axis curves – i…e absence of resonances – leads to higher subjective preference scores

This is exactly the point and the strength of the HAF filter : correct direct (on axis) and indirect (off axis, reverberated) responses + resonances of course.

Spoiler: improved “personalised” HAF X-talk cancellation filter is currently under beta testing on the French Hifi forum. I don’t know when it will be officially launched, I hope soon, because it’s really really good.

8 Likes

Finally got the chance to do my REW measurements and send them off to Thierry who has confirmed they are good to go. Have supplied a Glass Animals’ track as my test track.

Looking forward to hearing the results.

By the way using REW I equalised and saved the left/right channels from my position 1 (sweet spot) and loaded them into Roon. Definitely has helped remove some bass boom I was getting but not yet convinced the SQ has improved. I’ve lost some dimensionality to the music.

1 Like

You need several measurement spots to get good results, but expect to lose some “life” and “dynamic” when room correcting. Almost everyone feels that way, and the reason is that some sub-100 frequencies will be lowered, which gives the indication that you lost something. In fact, you will probably gain dynamic, but lose some volume, and it takes a little time before you realize how much of an improvement it is.

Btw, feel free to follow my REW guide here: A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon and then you can compare that with what Thierry gives you. Thats what I did, and the HAF filters provided a SQ improvement at least for me.

If what you get from Thierry sounds worse, then give him a chance to fix it :wink:

4 Likes

When will this be available? Sign me up! :slight_smile:

I think its available now in beta, but you need to measure your head which feels a little medieval :slight_smile:

Ask Thierry about it, I will try it the next time I get new filters (need to buy some more acoustic treatment first)!

Thanks Magnus, I’ll send him an email. Measuring my head? huh?

Makes sense… my head is a massive echo chamber…

7 Likes

I’ve now received back from Thierry a couple of test tracks with and without crosswalk reduction. He has applied a neutral profile and he has warned me that they may sound light on bass. Will try them out this evening.

Amazingly quick response from Thierry!

1 Like

@Rik_Carter Remember you can always apply Roon DSP on top of HAF filter to adjust your profile. For example if you want more bass you can set a Parametric EQ / Low Shelf filter / Frequency 100Hz / Gain 3dB / Q=0.1

1 Like

The trick is to build a simple geometric “model” of your head based on 3 measurements, see example below.
The X-Talk filter is then built considering:

• the room/speakers response measured with REW, correcting tone and phase for direct field and tone of the reverberated field (already taken in to consideration in current HAF version)
  • the distance of your head to the speakers and between speakers (already in current HAF version)
  • your head shape (“generic” head in current HAF version, “personalised head” in the new Beta version).
    The new Beta version is to my experience as good as the previous one at the sweet spot, slightly better on most “acoustic” recordings, and mind-blowing on some recordings with high binaural content. It’s getting into the direction of what can be achieved with BACCH filtering (except that the price is between 30 to 300 cheaper depending on the version of BACCH you choose, and it’s far easier to implement).

So you keep the mic next to you ears? Left ear and right ear are the sweetspot?

So a preface to my upcoming comment: I have played around with DRC a fair bit, having used Dirac, built my own convolution filters with REW - used in both Roon and HQP, and played with rePhase. As an engineer, I think I get most of the principles around the science. I have been excited to try the new HAF filters once my new setup is finalized - I don’t want to waste the $ before that.

So that out of the way … the idea that adjusting the filters for your head geometry is going to make an audible difference is going off the audiophile deep end imo. Unless you have your head in a vice grip that has been fixed to the exact same listening position as when you took the measurements, any movement of your head 1 or more inches in any direction is going to overwhelm anything related to your head geometry.

With all due respect, you are a case study in confirmation bias and/or have a close/working relationship with Thierry …