Hardware Recommendation to improve speed access for a large music library?

PC Profile Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core AMD
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E AUSTEK
Memory: 4 modules totalling 65453 MB
ROON is on a 1TB SSD
Music Files: Two of 8TB BarraCuda Pro & one 6TB Seagate - c

• currently 6.95 + 6.96 + 0.72TB of space on the 3 drives for 27,368 albums of mixed standard and hi-rez formats
    All the above currently housed in the one large PC case.

ASUS RT-AX86U router - all the network hard wired to a Auralic Aries G1 streamer → hard wiring to various DACs , amps etc

Remote control is via a M/S Notebook and 3 iPads (hateful devices)

Audio quality is the best that is reasonably possible BUT access to ROON for both editing and play is not as smart as it once was - it slowed down as the music library expanded.

I’ve been prejudiced against a NAS system but am reconsidering OR could turn to the more expensive SSD option.

I’m very retired at 87 and the ROON music system is a very important part of my life. Advice please.

As far as I know, search speed is largely dependent on the amount of RAM. Disc speed helps reduce indexing and start times. It’s possible CPU speed also helps. You have plenty of RAM and CPU and your database is on an SSD so I don’t think you can improve much. Putting music on SSD won’t do much good either. I guess you’re stretching the limits of Roon.

Perhaps you could try some Windows ‘optimising tips’, such as killing unnecessary background tasks, software update checking, etc, etc.

There are some insights here:

I would analyze your SATA drives for performance. I’ve had Seagates hard drives slow down to crawl trying to access certain sections of the hard drive and yet at the same time no errors or bad sectors were being reported.

A simple data speedtest of the hard drive will validate your transfer read and write of your SATA drive.

Might as well test the SSD while you’re at it.

–MD

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.