Has anyone done the math?

I purchased the lifetime subscription thinking what if Roon goes under back in 2017 for $499. I sent an email asking what would happen if Roon folded. I was told it would still work but would not have the updates. I wanted to support them so I purchased the lifetime. I am glad I did.

Now in all honesty I was not using it for streaming then just to manage my music server. Now it has evolved and I have Tidal and Qobuz and there are a lot of updates that have to be made to keep up with Tidal, Qobuz and any other service they decide to add and connect to. But after 6 years of ownership my cost is $6.93 per month on the investment and still going down.

So if you are in your 80’s like someone on this thread I would not recommend the lifetime membership but if you are in your 30’s-70’s in good health and an audiophile it is a no brainer as Roon will keep evolving and eventually you will be happy you made an investment in the company also.

By the way of course Roon wants you to pay by the month. They make more money that way. They can raise your price. I am sure it will be $14.99 month 3 years from now. The current $699 lifetime is still fixed. :slight_smile: Just food for thought! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The apparently weird sale of Tidal to Square last year was motivated by the fact that Tidal has a lot of customers who do not use regular banks and are therefore a ripe target for Square’s transaction services. It did not have much to do with music.

Roon Lifetime was a bit like Kickstarter funding. I paid up. I have 30 units that are Roon Ready, at a considerable cost, so it would make more sense even now compared to someone with just a Naim Qb2 (like my son) that is Roon Ready, but Roon makes no sense as he just uses Spotify.

I would happy pay $100 per year just for the pleasure of using systems from several manufacturers with the same app.

The sooner Roon goes voice controlled the better.

2 Likes

Anyone looking at a Lifetime subscription today likely would prefer the monthly cost. When a Lifetime subscription was more affordable a monthly fee wasn’t offered. So, I think this posting is moot.

It’s been 7 years on the lifetime sub for me.
No better software for my 5000+ albums. 0 regrets.

5 Likes

IMO, the best play is the middle ground yearly subscription. You save 30%-ish and limit your losses if the service becomes unavailable for one reason or another.

Roon being such an amazing tool, I’m not worry it goes out of business. However, it could be possible that one of the big player in the streaming industry decide to buy it to differentiate its offer. For an Amazon or Apple, buying Roon would be pocket change and it would make their offer drastically more interesting.

In fact, I’m surprise it haven’t happened yet.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Bought mine in May 2017 for the equivalent of ÂŁ360. Wife gave me a hard-time at the time but have been pretty happy with the investment.

4 Likes

I purchased the Lifetime when Roon was first introduced. At that time, they offered 10% off, so it cost me around $450.

2 Likes

I bought my lifetime subscription in Nov 2019, which was 499 USD at that time. I divided my credit card payments into 12 installments of 41.66 per month for one year.

I am happy with my decision of paying monthly installements of under 50 USD for one year and am now able to use Roon for a as long that it is and will be running. Looking at what I “invested” for my audio equipment, the cost is fairly small for one of the best home streaming systems that is available.

(and I am very confident that it will keep running for many more years).

But with the higher fee for a lifetime subscription nowadays, the situation certainly has changed a bit.

6 Likes

I bought the lifetime two years ago for USD700 and have been extremely happy since. Use it every day. No regrets

5 Likes

This is going to be a looooong thread, if everybody is posting why she/he went for lifetime, monthly or annual subscription. :rofl:

P.S. I went for lifetime last year, please do the math for your self. :wink:

8 Likes

Really the intelligent way to initiate change of something instead of threatening to quit… I really appreciate your viewpoint Fernando!

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how would Roon know that I have died? I have a life long subscription, but maybe my widow is typing this message…

1 Like

Roon’s agents are everywhere!

3 Likes

I don’t think any of my lifetime licenses would have a clue.

If my family wants to pretend to be me after I die to listen to music. I hope they turn it up.

1 Like

Yeah I did the math when I took a lifetime sub at 499 USD. So far so good. It’s all been upside for a couple of years.

This is exactly why Roon (and everyone software/service provider company) will always prefer a subscription model:

Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I hate this fashion… “you will own nothing, and be happy”. Pretty sad about Pixelmator Photo, I won’t be paying it, but unfortunately many probably will.

It’s totally understandable why software providers prefer the subscription model - and equally, why those of us brought up on the one-off payment plus upgrades model tend not to be fans. I remember when Microsoft changed Office to a subscription model, that I moaned about it, but I’ve since come around to accepting it.

Edit: having said that, when Adobe dropped the one-time pricing of Lightroom and changed to the subscription model, I could not justify the ongoing cost to myself for my occasional use of the develop tools (I use Photo Supreme as my DAM). So I switched to Affinity Photo, which still has the one-time pricing model (for now?).

Horses for courses…

1 Like

I don’t think people get it. If everyone one bought a lifetime subscription, then think about what will happen, when there are only a few new customers a year? Who’ll pay the bills? It’s because it’s software that you can’t see or touch in real life, many people has a different view on subscriptions vs “owning” a licens.

Lifetime subscription is like buying a TV, and with every new model that becomes available, you’d get a new tv for free… for the rest of your life. That business model can not keep a company alive.

If you really care about Roon and the future development and availability, everyone should go for a monthly subscription. But at the end of the day, many of us make decisions based on our wallets.

Thanks

You innovate, improve your product, make a v2, attract new customers, there are lots of options. Selling a single product over and over again is lazy. Roon does not do this, that’s not what I’m saying.