Has the font changed on the forum?

Had to reselect ‘Dark Theme’ too. Looks rather unfamiliar now.

EDIT: after closing the browser tab and going back to the forum later, the light theme is back. Yes I did save the preferences, they have reset back to light theme.

5 Likes

What is legible is often what we’ve grown accustomed to. Change is always tough. When Times New Roman was first introduced critics complained they would go blind reading it.

Do you refer to the '30s, when the font was designed and introduced for newspapers, or to the times where personal computers became a thing and the preinstalled font became “omnipresent” and, because of its widespread use for all kind of documents it never was intended for, earned him a bad reputation?

I believe the change in fonts is a conspiracy to marginalize the contributions of those among us who have age related vision problems.

Clever, Roon. Well played.

3 Likes

Looks like we’re back to Arial as before the update. Thanks for that.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that.
I set my preference to Dark mode when I joined Roon 4 years ago and I have never had to go back and find it since, until today.

3 Likes

Whoa! Looks like things have suddenly changed back to the old style! Thank you.

The biggest skeptic would now say that only release 1.7 is missing and everything is as good as before.

1 Like

The story may be apocryphal but I recall reading it was the introduction of the print version, not the advent of personal computers that prompted the critique.

Designers Zuzana Licko and Rudy VanderLans published a magazine in the 90’s called Emigre that had an issue about fonts and legibility. Perhaps a bit academic and elitist but nonetheless interesting. Online issues are still viewable.

1 Like

Only reference I’ve found therein was that the font was unusual back at that time, which is expected for a newly released font. I couldn’t find a reference to aversions against the font.

But anyway, this becomes off-topic.

Now we’re back to the old version completely, even the top row changed back and I had to reset my choice for the theme of the site again.

1 Like

I was brought back to the light theme again but as has been noted upon changing back to dark I have the theme I had yesterday.

All good but some explanation or feedback from Roon would perhaps not be remiss?

.sjb

1 Like

Have to say I liked the updated theme while it was active, at least the Dark Theme. The Light Theme was unreadable. The typeface used was modern and usable, no idea why it was changed or changed back.