Have Roon build filters without REW

It would be great if I could just plug a UMIK USB mike into my Roon server and have it build a filter for my room. How about it?

2 Likes

And where should a routine to calculate a correction curve come from? Which target curve should it follow?

I have a lot of experience with room acoustics and DSP. Can tell you: such a universal target curve and ´one-click-correction´ does not exist. Neither of the solely microphone-based routines for room correction really works to satisfaction. In many cases the reproduction quality gets worse as a result of the routines trying to flatten things which cannot be countered with EQ filters at all.

REW and a UMIK are very useful tools to find out your RT60, get a waterfall plot, have the frequency response in the bass region and subsequently decide which measures should be taken BEFORE any EQ filters come into place: loudspeaker respositioning, room treatment, optimizing listening distance and alike.

Only if these things are corrected to a certain degree, one should start doing a listening test and thinking about target curves for the filters as the very last step.

What you are asking for is Dirac integration.

Yep i now Not a competetion, but…,
1 + for DIRAC ROON integration…thanks

If your looking for something a little simpler to use with Roon while waiting / hoping, then the House Curve app might be worth a look.

1 Like

I have both. I can always hear DSP in the signal chain and have optimized my room as much as she will tolerate. Still, I’m both lazy and curious so plugging in a UMIK and asking Roon to create a response curve (and tweaking from there) is something I’d like to see some day. No harm in asking.