HDs to hold music - SMR or PMR

I am looking at suitable internal HDs for a ROCK to hold music files. Will an SMR HD work or is a PMR HD mandatory? The only (9.5mm) PMR HDs that will fit inside a NUC are 2TB:

• Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB ST2000LM003/4/6
  • Seagate 2TB STBD2000102

which seem to be identical. 9.5mm height Disks >2TB only come in SMR, which I have read is considered unsuitable for music playback. Roon KB does not differentiate between SMR and PMR
Does anyone have any experience with SMR vs. PMR in the context of ROCK?
There is a 4TB 15mm PMR high disk, the Samsung Spinpoint M10P 4TB ST4000LM016, which I guess could be used in a USB enclosure.

I can’t see how it would make any difference.

2 Likes

@Simon_Arnold3
See here for the difference between PMR and SMR. SMR HDs are much slower than PMR, because they need to rewrite tracks several times during writing.

How would that be detrimental for music playback in reality? Sounds to me like audiophool nonsense.

3 Likes

If you say so 

It wouldn’t. This is purely for write performance, which means your copies to the drive will be slightly slower (if you can saturate the network).

1 Like

Music playback is so within the capabilities of any modern drive that it is irrelevant.

1 Like

thanks, @danny and @ged_hickman1 for the clarification
My 2.5" SMR drives write at around 50MB/s whereas the PMR ones write at around 120MB/s, which makes quite a difference if you want to transfer 2TB of music files to the drive. That was the reason for my question.
I’ll stick with PMR, such as the Toshiba L200, which seems readily available.

Just out of morbid curiosity, how many times do you expect you’ll transfer 2TB of data to the drive ?

Sounds to me like you are asking me to justify why I would buy a PMR drive with better write performance over an SMR, when both types are readily available. Any reason I should take the SMR instead?

Personally, I would eschew the internal drive and get a large external drive.

I’m not sure anyone is telling you to buy one or the other; rather saying that the drive in normal everyday use will be doing mainly reads so write performance, apart from initially populating the disk, is a bit of a red herring.
If you are selecting a disk then go for one with the best read performance to act as the music library.

1 Like

Eschew! Fancy😜

Just got the OED. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you’re right. Putting a drive into the NUC brings all sorts of constraints, regardless of technology (backup being one of them). Probably using a small NAS such as Synology’s DS218j would be the best overall solution. Would also allow to use the more elegant thin NUC model.

No, no, I wouldn’t want you to justify anything - was just pointing out that the technology wasn’t something you should worry about (beyond MTBFs, obviously, but even that’s a little bit academic as long as you have a 2nd copy somewhere).

NASs add latency, and, generally, Roon would rather you don’t use a NAS.

If you’re going to do mirroring, and want something silent, OWC makes a nice 2,5" dual enclosure that you can connect straight to your NUC over USB (regular usb, not usb-c).
(Relative) silence + it should work without external power is why you might want the 2,5" version.
You’d (obviously) still need to back that up, though.

My setup is as follows:

• ROCK and music on NUC7i5 (NVME M.2 & 2TB 2,5” HDD)
  • \rock\Data\Storage\InternalStorage mounted on DS718+ NAS (RAID1)
  • Nightly rsync on NAS between mounted ROCK share and /music
  • Nightly backup of NAS to 4TB external USB3 drive
  • Nightly sync of music and user folders to cloud (BackBlaze B2)

No reason this could no also be done with an external disk attached to the ROCK/NUC. I may have overdone it a bit in the backup part – kindly adjust to your comfort level. :smiley:

Price. That’s it.

Reads like a description of Fort Knox, René
I think an internal disk + a NAS would be quite sufficient for my comfort level.
:slight_smile:

SMR: SEAGATE BarraCuda 2.0TB (ST2000LM015): 85 Swiss Francs
PMR: TOSHIBA L200 2.0TB (HDWL120UZSVA): 86 Swiss Francs
It’s really a wash pricewise. Both drives are 5’400RPM, so read speed won’t differ much, I presume.

I like René’s setup with an internal disk and a NAS for backup. I will look into that.

PMR - polymyalgia rheumatica?
SMR - standardized mortality ratio?

OK, I had to google the acronyms to find that PMR was perpendicular magnetic recording and SMR was shingled magnetic recording.

As to which is better for Roon, that would depend on the price of your interconnects.

Oh yeah, and if you’re going to use Tidal, I suggest a T1 transmission line.

1 Like