Headphone Amp/DAC and possibly Streamer

You might also want to see what’s available used. I bought the Meridian Prime from a fellow here and the amp from another person on eBay. Both were at an attractive and fair price.

1 Like

Most of the items on my list are new enough that used may be rare, but I would jump at used for sure. That said, the list is not exclusive - if I see a deal on a good alternative I’m in!

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Only if you want to move around the house (and have multiple access points). For stationary use, both the Mojo/Poly and the Hugo2/2Go work pretty well.

Agreed, as I stated above! But to be fair, the start of my reading and search did not coincide with my post here a day ago… though I’ve learned a few things since.

Cheers,
Robert

I misread this.

Don’t feel bad. I like her a lot. Haters gonna hate, hate, hate…

Know what you mean.

Just closing the loop on this thread.

Leave it to a pragmatic woman to point out an option the otherwise logical half didn’t think of…

“Why don’t you just replace your listening chair in the music room - you’ve been complaining about that since you set up in there… then you can recline and relax there and not flop on the living room couch or the bed…”

Brilliant. Headphones and a basic headphone amp plugged into the secondary analog outputs of my Lumin T2 or the tape outputs of my preamp.

Cheers,
Robert

3 Likes

I love that getting you out from under her feet is sold as a benefit to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Note that @wklie has previously recommended against connecting both analog outputs on the T2 at the same time.

In any event FWIW, I prefer the sound using just the balanced out of my D2 to my balanced integrated amp and then unbalanced line out from my amp to my headphone amp, than using the unbalanced RCA straight from the D2 to my headphone amp. I’ve no idea if/how this experience would translate to the T2.

1 Like

I read on another forum where @wklie answered a similar question on the T2 and said it was not best practice but it wasn’t a problem. But, yeah, I think I would just leave the T2 connected via balanced to my tube preamp and then connect the headphone amp to the tape out jacks. It means I have to have both the headphone amp and preamp on, but suspect this preamp tubey goodness will be a good thing, as it is for my speakers.

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Of course it’s easy enough to play around and come to your own conclusions. For me, the noise floor was definitely higher when routed through the amp (?? mains noise) but I still preferred the sound. Have fun with it :smiley:

1 Like

Just to throw another option onto the mix. I’ve been very pleased by two compact units by Pro-Ject: Roon ready Streambox S2 Ultra and the Prebox S2. Good price point w/ MQA capability to boot!

1 Like