Headphone recommendation?

I have a Brooklyn+ dac. I’d appreciate any headphone recommendations for this rig! Thanks!

Not much to go on. maybe give an idea of budget, preference for open, closed back, IEM, what you have heard or owned and liked etc.

2 Likes

There is a whole thread with people talking about their headphones:

Budgets vary hugely though - be careful you don’t end up coveting something beyond your limits :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hifiman Arya Stealth sound great with my Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, so will be a good match for your Dac +

3 Likes

Sennheiser HD600 is universally liked in the price range.

1 Like

I’m looking for … mind blowing?

really what i want to know is whether there is any reason to “upgrade” over my sennheiser HD650 with this particular dac. Also, I’m not sure that every headphone comes with a cable that connects to the mytek dac? some of them have xlr connections, and you have to buy an adapter?

I love Abyss! My Abyss Diana Phi’s are mind blowing. I have a friend in one of the Audiophile forums who have two of the finest and most expensive headphones on the market. He has the top Abyss and HiFiMAN models, both are $6000 each. He is powering them with fairly basic Schiit amplifiers to his satisfaction. I have owned several more expensive headphone amplifiers, but currently own a Schiit amp that is a fraction of the others in cost. My point being that any good decent headphone amp should allow you to power a really good set of headphones. Therefore, it does come down to your budget. If you are looking to spend over $3000 then I would hgihly advise you consider Abyss… in my view the finest headphones money can buy!

Ok maybe not $3000 mind blowing! I only buy used stuff- $1500 range?

You can get Audeze LCD-3 used in that price range or less. I have a pair. Are they mind blowing? Not really, but they are very good and comfortable to boot.

1 Like

You could go electrostatic.
I use this

With

And

1 Like

I like Dan Clark Audio and HiFiMAN as good choices since both offer very good headphones in your range. Abyss, unfortunately start at $3000 :).

Cheap HD600/650 or turbo cheap HiFiMAN Sundara Open or Closed (for less than 175$ - insane HQ/cost ratio) and you have all you need.

Electrostatics, 3k-5k cans… many times no better than HD/Sundaras for thousands more dollars. No sense at all.

2 Likes

I have had hd600 and they sound good for the money but nothing like sound quality of electrostatics driven by a good stat amp , not even close but if that is what you think then so be it.
Not here to change anyones mind.

2 Likes

No doubt about it. The Sundara’s are insane value.

Yes, they can be bettered. But not at anywhere near the price! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have both and enjoy them both, my wife prefers the closed when I am listening to Heavy Metal or anything harsh :astonished:, as the Open leaks a fair amount of noise, but the open do sound better :thinking:

4 Likes

Interesting, I wonder how the open compare to the FIIO FT5, which are really quite good as well

1 Like

Probably out of budget and a bit obvious but Focal Utopia are pretty amazing to my ears! I have a couple of IEMs (Shure and B&O) and a pair of Aedle from years ago but nothing gets used now above the focals. I have never heard the other headphones in the focal range but I imagine they would be worth a listen.

1 Like

I think that the FIIO FT5 are probably a better headphone based on the reviews I have watched and read. But both the Sundaras are a good fun headphone that make almost all music enjoyable

2 Likes

I hear only good about this Meze 109 Pro, and well in your price range.
Synergy with your mytek gear is to be tested, you could take your dac to a dealer to test.

1 Like