Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

What are they?

the packaging looks like it says Cary so maybe Cary Audio

Cayin YB04, sorry (shows as image title, though :wink: )
four BA drivers, neutral tuning with a tiny touch of mids emphasis :slight_smile:

So they deliver to Europe ok then is there any customs charges. Good price on Drop compared to elsewhere.

@Simon_Arnold3
Hey, I’d love to hear your impressions of the SMSL SU-9; my current DAC is a Schiit Modius for comparison, and I’ve heard (and not loved for me) a topping D90. Thanks!

I have just upgraded my Benchmark DAC2 HGC plus SPL Phonitor Mini to this lovely Audio Technica AT-HA5050H. A cracking deal ex-demo and what a stunning sound paired with my favourite Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S cans.

The AT-HA5050H is fed by USB connection from an Innuos Zen M3 with all of my CDs ripped and hosting a Roon Core giving Tidal access too.

6 Likes

I’m very pleased with it, hits above its wait as its very close to my RME ADl 2 for sq which is twice the price. It’s a fairly neutral DAC so you might not like this if you don’t like the D90, there is little colouration here. It’s well built, but could do with 4 feet and not three as its a bit wobbly on just three. But I put t my own isolation pads on it that cost a few quid so it’s non issue now. One thing I would like to change is to be able to turn off the display when it’s on, even on the dimmest setting its bright, as I use it in my bedroom rig its an issue but for others maybe not.

I honestly can’t hear a difference between the sound color modes at all so they seem a waste of time but that could be my hearing as I can’t seem to hear must past 12k these days :frowning:

Even with these small issues I really like it and it’s a big step up from the Ifi it replaced and seems to pair well with the Magni Heresy I also got 20% off via Amazon and it shipped from China in about 3 days.

1 Like

I agree, the SMSL SU9 is a very nice DAC, especially for the price.
I upgraded from the Soncoz LA QXD-1 and can hear an improvement, especially in the low end of the spectrum with more definition. As a Tidal user, I also like the MQA encoding which saves some work to the Roon Core.
Now I am testing its matching headphone amp against my desktop favorite…the LP G100W.

1 Like

Ooh, how is it?

1 Like

I just got an SH-9 headphone amp.

Very very good.

Does anyone have any experience with a Kingsound KS-H3 and their associated amps?

I can’t find a dealer here in the US.

It is good yes, but not sure if it’s better to my taste than the Lake People.
I am A/B testing theae days…let’s see
For sure it is different than the other THX I owned (Monolith 887)

How is it it with RFI. My phone always interferes with my Heresy when its anywhere close by which is annoying. I like the idea of matching look to the SU9.

No issues at all.

Is your phone using 2G, out of interest?

Nope full fat 4G, it’s a Pixel 4.

Single ended (RCA) interconnects ?

If so, could be RF pickup by ground currents… which shouldn’t be an issue with balanced (XLR) cables (like I’m using with the SH-9 headamp).

I’m no expert though - just guesstimating. RF/EMI issues can sometimes be very complex.

What DAC you using?

1 Like

Ive had a pair of those for around 12 months now.
Great little buds.
Sound quality and battery life is top notch.
My go-to item when I’m mobile.

I lost the charging case :pleading_face: and moved on to Sony wf1000, as at the time I was taking the London underground and the noise cancellation made for a better experience.
But the RHA were nice phones.

It only started when I got the Schiit Heresy so it could be the interconnection. I use the SU9 that’s why I am interested in this amp. I used Ifi Nano before with the Schiit and it was the same. Never did it when I used the Ifi alone.

Yes the isolation isn’t great in that kind of environment. Used to take the tube in London daily before I fled the UK. The true connect wireless are fine for milling around on the street / bus though.

These days I fly alot (or did before the current $hit$how). I use the RHA T10 wired buds on the plane. They give great isolation. Can sit on the wing row and get zero engine noise coming through.