Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

Latest addition:
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro

Shown on a Kanto H2 stand Kanto

After reading and watching several very positive reviews of these mid-priced headphones and given the fact I own several other Beyerdynamic headphones I decided to add these headphones to my ever growing headphone collection.

Aside: What is the perfect number of headphones one should own? N+1, where N is the number of headphones one presently owns.

The DT 1990 Pro are open back studio mastering headphones and have a very neutral sound, meaning not overly bright or bass heavy. They most definitely possess what I like to call the Beyerdynamic house sound. Since they have a 250 ohm impedance they are not meant for portable use and do require a decent headphone amp to make them sing, which they do quite nicely with either my Oppo HA-1 or Benchmark DAC3 HGC amp.

Please give them a listen in you are in the market for a very good headphone in the $500 range. Their closed back sibling, the DT 1770 Pro are also 250 ohm and have a similar sound and list price.

5 Likes

The Sennheiserā€™s are for late night TV viewing (optical from TV), but I also have them wired RCA out of my Oppo 203 for 24/192 capability with Roon.

4 Likes

Interesting. How would you compare those to Grado headphones? I am sure you must own a pair or two :wink:

Wish I could answer you but I havenā€™t owned any Grado headphones for many years. I donā€™t care for on ear headphones and most of the Grados are basically on ear rather than full size over ear headphones. What I can say is that I feel that both the DT 1770 Pro and the DT 1990 Pro are giant killers in that they hold their own against many headphones in the $1000 range.

Of course since these days the headphone world is moving to Bluetooth and low impedance, easy to drive designs, being a wired, 250 ohm. hard to drive design puts the DT 1770/1990 Pros at a disadvantage. Nonetheless if you want a well balanced, clean and neutral sound and have the right amp then you may find these unassuming headphones fit the bill.

1 Like

@Jim_F You are well on the way to building a very nice collection of high quality headphones. All the headphones pictured in your post are first rate and with all the listening you do Iā€™m sure that they are all put to good use. Enjoy!

1 Like

I used to own sennheiser HD650 for a while but sold them because they were uncomfortable. Then I bought Grados RS2e and quite like them so far. Great hobby :wink:

2 Likes

Just a quick note to all my fellow headphone enthusiasts:

February is normally the month of the big Head-Fi CanJam NYC all-things-headphone show but due to the ongoing pandemic alas there is no CanJam this year. Letā€™s hope that 2022 brings the biggest and best CanJam yet. Iā€™ve been to several CanJams as well to many smaller local headphone meets and Roon is always well represented in that Roon seems to be the music player of choice at most to the manufacturerā€™s booths.

Perhaps for CanJam NYC 2022 we can organize a Roon Labs Community Board meet up for the New York metropolitan members. In any event I eagerly await the post pandemic world.

1 Like

I own and love both 1990 and 1770
Bass on the 1990 is something very special, super fast and tight but deep at the same time when the recording is good.
Definitely my go-to cans.

2 Likes

I had to show some love for my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones, so I bought this little single stand on Amazon for $12.

5 Likes

Is there somewhere an overview of high end Roon Ready headphone amps?

Data and power come in over the ethernet cableā€¦

Sound comes out the other side ! :smile:

4 Likes

Home office set up aka the joy of working from home
My pre-pandemic collection was definitely smaller ā€¦

6 Likes

I have two main sets of cans:

• Sennheiser/Drop HD-6XX
  • HiFiMan/Drop HE-5XX

Both with balanced cables, from my Pi2AES / Schiit Gungnir Multibit / Mjolnir 2.

For $440 total, I cannot imagine a better pairing of different and individually lovely headphones. Itā€™s what I recommend everyone start with and stay with for a while. I keep getting upgraditis, and then convincing myself to listen to the same compositions on both again. Iā€™m not sure I need 3 headphones, and Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d replace either one with.

Point me to a different thread if this isnā€™t ideal, but my fist is holding $1000 and looking for the best, most comfortable closed-back set I can bring on my (hopefully resuming soon) daily commute. Portability matters, comfort matters. To be combined with my Astell & Kern S25 DAP if that helps.

Hit me!

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed

7 Likes

Hi, what experiences do you have with the closed aeon? Iā€˜m using a focal elegia and looking for an alternative which is a bit more open with a wider stage but also with a solid bass Fundament and attack. From classic to alternative and jazz I like nearly every genre.
Would you say the above mentioned requirements characterize the sonic image of the aeon 2?
Regards
Michael

First you donā€™t need $1000 for a set of portable closed back over ear headphones. Any headphones in the $1000 range would be too big and would not be meant for portable use. I would consider going with the Sony WH-1000XM4 which can used in wired mode with the noise cancelation active. They are also Bluetooth.

2 Likes

The Mytek Brooklyn Bridge fits the bill.

The current model: Brooklyn Bridge Note: this model is no longer shown on the Mytek site, instead they show this model, which might be overkill for your needs: Brooklyn Bridge II ROON

If anyone knows of any other streaming headphone amps, please chime in.

For much less than your budget, have a look at the Beyerdynamic DT150. Great sound, decent noise isolation, and the A&K should have no problems driving them.

EDIT: you may look like a Cyberman, but theyā€™re the least ā€˜closed back soundingā€™ closed backs youā€™ll probably ever hearā€¦

1 Like

Appreciate the recommendations. I was thinking of the Dan Clark Aeon 2 before it was recommended, so Iā€™ll give those a try (in particular, they look like they work well on the go - easy fold/storage, not to mention reportedly great SQ). If not, I have some great alternatives.

I assume that the new Focal Celestee may be overkill for this task? They look a little more like a home set than anything I could/should travel with.